Looking for good DVD player with Divx/Xvid playback

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike_J_Potter, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am looking to replace my older progessive scan DVD player with one that can also playback xvid/divx files (must do both.. Upconversion is too much of a concern since my TV doesn't have HDMI or DVI inputs (though one that can do that is a bonus since I will do the steps to do so) I am outputting it to 42 inch widescreen HD RPTV 1080I native. So I want good picture watching DVD's at 480P, and of course dolby digital and DTS sound with good quality. The only model I have found so far is the LG LDA-511, I found other ones but they are either out of production, not sold in the US, or the us firmware doesn't allow divx/xvid playback. I looking to spend about $200.00 so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

If you were using DVI or HDMI, I'd reccomend the Oppo, as it does divx quite well. It gives an inferior pic over analog connections, though.

3. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

Philips 642. Divx/Xvid playback and PAL to NTSC conversion. Very inexpensive.

4. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I have had Samsung HD-841 and LG DVB418. They are both very inexpensive (under $50 if you look hard), offer upconversion, and support Divx/Xvid. To get Samsung to support Divx/Xvid you'll need to download new firmware, but it's pretty straightforward.