What's new

Looking for good 16x9 DVDs (1 Viewer)

I need to find some good DVDs that are in a native 16x9 ratio (1.85:1) for demos on floor systems. At the moment, we only have Spiderman and Monsters Inc, everything else (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Driven, etc) are all in 2.35:1. To avoid the black bars burning into plasmas (and even more important, to avoid customer questions), we have the DVDs stretched, making it look distorted, adding some pixelization, generally pretty bad stuff. So I've set it upon myself to find good movies that are in 16x9 and look good on plasmas (so brighter colors). . . and trying to avoid animated movies. Plus, these are used for home theatre systems of various sorts, so I'm looking for ones with a good sound track as well.

Well, does anybody know any good 1.85:1 movies, good sound, good video, non animated? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. . .

Soooo. . .anybody know of any? All I have is Dinosaur, Chicken Run, Monsters Inc . . .all animated, not good.

Resident Evil. . .too violent, too dark.

Waterworld? Really bad movie. . .

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steve, since your question does not pertain to a specific story or review in DVD Etc. magazine but is instead quite often discussed in the Software section, that is why I've moved it. JB

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
A.I., Back to the Future, the upcoming Das Boot superbit, The Count of Monte Cristo, E.T., and Men in Black.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Why are you trying to avoid animated ones? Some of those are among the best:
Toy Story 1 & 2
Ice Age
Fantasia 2000
-- Edit: never mind, I didn't see that's all you currently have... --

For a live action title, I'd suggest Jurassic Park.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Desperado (preferably Superbit)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (ditto)
Vertical Limit (ditto)
Starship Troopers
Beverly Hills Cop I
Shrek
Daylight (good 5.1 demo material as well)
M.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know you said no animated titles, however I must vote for Lilo & Stitch. Fabulous colorful transfer and all around pleasant film.
It's a good idea to avoid 2.35:1 films for burn-in reasons, I can understand that. However I would at least mention to the customers that films are presented in wider formats also. Just a suggestion.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

If you have a business to sell this equipment, wouldn't you find it more helpful to explain the concept to customers rather than avoiding it? I see the retail front as the true front-line on properly educating consumers on this type of equipent, especially if you are going to take their cash...

-Vince

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic Park III is 1:85 and looks excellent....and of course, great audio (and it does look better than I & II).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree about Jurassic Park III, great disc for demo material.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing Vince, but I didn't want to push. :)

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Fugitive!!! for one if its a store than u want to have PG-13

E.T. too I think its 1.85:1

MIB is good,

but if its hooked up to sound system than SAVING PRIVATE RYAN!!!!

by any chance does anyone know why spielberg decided to use 2.35:1 on Minority Report, dont get me wrong i like 2.35:1 but Spielber is 1.85:1 guy!!!!

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a business to sell this equipment, wouldn't you find it more helpful to explain the concept to customers rather than avoiding it? I see the retail front as the true front-line on properly educating consumers on this type of equipent, especially if you are going to take their cash...
I have to agree with Vince on this. Consider the amount of posts here that go something like: "I bought a 16:9 television to get rid of the black bars on my TV, but while watching Star Wars: Episode I, I still see black bars......" Etc., Etc..

I can understand the burn-in issue, but avoiding customer questions....well, IMO that's inexcusable for a salesman/business owner.

Please don't take that personally, but it's just how I feel.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Vince on this. Consider the amount of posts here that go something like: "I bought a 16:9 television to get rid of the black bars on my TV, but while watching Star Wars: Episode I, I still see black bars......" Etc., Etc..

I can understand the burn-in issue, but avoiding customer questions....well, IMO that's inexcusable for a salesman/business owner.

Please don't take that personally, but it's just how I feel.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the double post. Perhaps an administrator could delete one.

SvenS

Second Unit
One that I never see mentioned is Courage Under Fire. This DVD is outstanding Video and Audio (DTS) wise. It has incredible surround useage, incredible video scenes in the daylight and at night (witness the battle in the begining of the film).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
"Spy Kids" is a good choice for a film that won't have any images offending the general shopping public.
"Legend of Bagger Vance" looks spectacular (and there are probably plenty of extra copies available on the shelf for demo purposes :) )
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks