What's new

Looking for fun/instant action games for Xbox (1 Viewer)

Hank_P

Second Unit
I've got a pretty good setup.. full surround, big screen, etc. But I don't have a lot of time to play "long" role-playing games. I'm looking for some fun, great video-16x9, great 5.1 sound games that have "instant" action. I really enjoy DOA3, but would like some recommendations for a few new releases. Does Blade II have this style of play, or must you "wonder about" looking for someone to slice-n-dice. A few people has mentioned that SegatGT 2002 would meet my needs for some quick and entertaining fun.. thoughts? Or MechAssault? I should probably say that I also enjoy a games that have some 1-on-1 modes, either fighting/racing/etc.
I'm open to some roleplaying games.. if it's full of action. My skills are mainly from PC games and only had my Xbox about four months. I'm looking forward Unreal Championship.. hopefully this will give you guys an idea of what I enjoy playing. Thanks.. it's a pay week..and it's burning a hole in my wallet to get something fun for the weekend. :D
Thanks

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
I'm going to have to recommend Deathrow, Hank. Take a look at some of the other threads describing it. Underhyped by the publisher, but a lot of people are having fun with this one.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
If the key word in your post is "Action", then I second Deathrow. There isn't a more action-packed game for Xbox out now, it's almost crazy how fast paced and insane that game is.

Otherwise, MechAssault or Unreal would probably be good too (but then you need Xbox Live.)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'd recommend Deathrow as well. I picked it up due to the fantastic reviews it's getting, as well as the good word of mouth from people here at the HTF.

It is fast paced action at its' best. I've been playing it non-stop for the last two days.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
You mentioned Sega GT, it is a little bit like Gran turismo 3, except it feels a little more arcade like, and I don't like the graphics quite as much in Sega GT, but it is rather quick. Like Gran turismo, you must play a bit before you can buy the bigger cars, but at least you are more free to race more varied tracks from the start in Sega GT. And there is a quick game mode as well, where you can select cars more freely, but personally I find the torunament mode more rewarding.

But if it is quick car action you want, the game that I really recommend is RalliSport Challenge.

I also have to throw in the obligatory vote for Halo...

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have Halo and it's a blast, lots of great sound and graphics.

Does MechAssault or Unreal Championship REQUIRE Xbox live to play... I was thinking I could go against the computer for some hard play. (I agree, that against others is much more fun and challenging, but I'm not able to broadband right now).

Deathrow looks great!!

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Here's another vote for Deathrow. If you don't have the time/patience for slow paced games, Deathrow is perfect for you. You can sit down, play a game or two, and quit. The action is instant, intense, and non-stop.

It also features widescreen video and you can make your own soundtracks.

Highly recommended.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
For me, Wreakless this type of game. Some people didn't like it (I think they wanted GTA4), but i found it to be a blast once you get some of the better, heavier cars. It's great if you just want to sit back and have some fun to a little bit. Plus I still don't think any game out there has better gfx. But I'm a gfx whore. :)
For me i love driving the tank around, blowing the crap out of everything in my way. Great after driving home in rush hour.
Plus I think you can find this one cheap now. I think I play this more than Halo (ducks to avoid fly debris).
BTW, I had NOTHING to do with this game, and dont know anyone who worked on it. I didn't care for Blade II myself...even with the cheat modes, but your mileage may vary.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Trevor, I think your recommendation of Wreckless as a fun "instant action" game is a good one. There's no need to apologize for having fun with a game! :) I thought it was fun, too...and exactly the kind of game that Hank is looking for. I'd definitely second Rallisport Challenge, too. I'd also recommend Crazy Taxi 3 as an instant action driving game, but since you said you want great graphics, that leaves CT3 out. I like Sega GT, but I think that Rallisport is more enjoyable as a pick up and play game. Also, Splashdown is a darn fun Sea-Doo racing game & I just bought it for $19.82 at Wal-Mart. Don't let the fact that this is a port of a year-old PS2 game discourage you...Splashdown is a good looking game. Amazingly beautiful water.
I'd recommend Jet Set Radio Future to...everyone really, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, so read some reviews before buying it. I'd also recommend Gunvalkyrie, made by the same developer, but a lot of people find the control difficult. (I think it has the most responsive, albeit difficult initially, controls in a videogame...ever) It involves blasting mutant alien bugs & has lots of whiz-bang eye candy. It's also available real cheap.
Hmm...what else...how 'bout Max Payne? I enjoyed that one, & it's great as an instant-action game I think.
-Dan

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Another vote for Hunter. Very easy to pick up and play, for you and up to three other friends. Zero learning curve, really. Just boot up and blast away!

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
My pick up and play game lately has been tony hawk 4. With it you can sit down for 30 minutes and knock out 1-3 objectives. Not to mention all the other cool things in this game. The movies you can buy of the development team skating are hilarious. The only problem with this game is that you won't want to stop after 30 minutes or however much time you decide. It's very just one more try type of game.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Also, Splashdown is a darn fun Sea-Doo racing game & I just bought it for $19.82 at Wal-Mart. Don't let the fact that this is a port of a year-old PS2 game discourage you...Splashdown is a good looking game. Amazingly beautiful water.
Splashdown was a big surprise to me. I rented it a while back, on a whim since I had the BlockBuster Games Freedom pass at the time. Damned fun game!

I definitely also agree with the Rallisport Challenge recommendation, though I'm not as keen on Sega GT 2002. I thought it was the cat's ass when I first got it, but after playing it, RC, and Moto GP, I realized that it really wasn't up to snuff in a lot of ways. For me, obviously.

Hank_P

Second Unit
These are some great recommendations. Sounds like some fun for me is in the very near future. I really like some of the racing game and other "instant battle" games where you just grab you gear and hammer away at each other (Hunter sounds like the one). The DOA game is great, as I can sit down, battle/fight for a few hours, or if a few friends stop by and want to play, we can battle each other (the "no learning curve" is great in this scenario). The racing games recommended sound as if I can do the same.

Games with long story lines are fun, but it may be a week or two before I get the chance to play again, so if the game has 50-80 levels.. it's taken me a long long time to play and it's hard to pick back up. When I first got my game, I really had some fun with HALO, lots of action and battles, new game, new toy, but my work took me away for a couple of weeks, then it took awhile to get back into it.. blah blah blah.. but it is a great game.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Blood Wake isn't a bad pick up and shoot things sort of game.

I've enjoyed that for the $10 bucks that I paid for it.... got it from a friend when he was done with it.

That's my quick pickup choice.

Glen

Terry_D

Auditioning
Not sure if it's out yet, but for instant action, I'd recommend Serious Sam. I've played it on PC and it's a blast! It's not got the most in-depth story, but it's full of instant action. Just another title to consider!

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks