Looking for fronts to best match boston VR12

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Grillo, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Chris Grillo

Chris Grillo Stunt Coordinator

I Would like to spend no more than $1000.00 for the pair.
    my system consists of:
    (1)Sony da4es
    (1)Boston VR12 center
    (2)Boston HD5 rears
    (1)Boston VR500 sub
    (2)Older pioneers 3way fronts (looking to replace)

any and all suggestions are wellcome!

[​IMG]

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Chris,

Your best bets are the VR3 at slightly above your stated budget, or the VR2 at slightly below your budget (this is retail, however, and you should be able to beat up a sales guy for a bit less than that).

-Robb

3. Chris Grillo

Rob,
    Thanks I will go and check them out at a local store.
    Do you think I should stay with Boston? The reason I ask is I was looking at the Axiom web site and they have some
    M60ti speakers that have Titanium Tweeters also!Are the tweeters the most important match? Anyway I am not sure If Boston is a Good Brand or not? Any other suggestions so i can go check them out also?

-Chris

4. Robb Roy

Chris,

I haven't heard this new line, but it appears they are based on the VR-M line. I personally think the VR-M line is amazing (obviously, or I wouldn't have bought them all around). I haven't heard the Axioms, but they are well regarded on the forums. As to wether they'd match with your current Bostons, I really don't know (but probably not). Since you already have Bostons (and assuming you like them, especially your center channel) I'd stick with Bostons.

-Robb

5. Chris Grillo

Robb,

Thanks. I will see if my local B&B store has VR3 or VR2
    I know they have the VR900 series but i am not sure about the VR2 or VR3.
    So you have the VR-M line whats in your system? What sub are you running?

6. Robb Roy

Chris,

I believe stores are only just getting in the VR2 and VR3 speakers. Here in the Phoenix area Ultimate stopped carrying Boston home products but Showcase/Tweeter has added more of their stuff. You can try their dealer search.

As to my sub, I used to run the Boston PV1000, but upgraded to an SVS 20-39PC+.

-Robb

7. Chris Grillo

Robb,

As you can see I am running the VR500, your subs little brother, so I have to ask is there a BIG difference between your VR1000 and the SVS 20-39pc+. I am also looking at a new sub some time in the not so distant future.

8. Robb Roy

9. Chris Grillo

Robb,

Nice! What do you think I could get for my VR500?[​IMG]

10. Robb Roy

Chris,

You might be surprised how close to retail you can get for it (that unit has reasonably high WAF, and decent sound for its size) if it's in good condition.

-Robb

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Since Boston is the only company that uses that AMD gizmo (an effective gizmo) on their aluminum tweeters, I doubt other company's speakers will sound the same. Most other metal tweeters to me sound kind of "tizzy" & harsh, except for Boston's (of course! [​IMG]), Polk Audio's, upscale JBL models, Mirage, and Infinity's ceramic/metal hybrid (obviously I haven't heard EVERY metal tweeter out there, so I'm sure their are some other nice sounding ones). But my favorite tweeters are usually ones that use fabric domes: almost always detailed but not harsh. Many can be slightly bright too--my personal sound preference--but not be tizzy sounding either. Boston's models with their Kortec tweeter and Athena's speakers at Best Buy are like this, to me anyway.

LJ

12. Jason Kolczak

The new Boston VR series is sweet. A friend went to a store and listened to the VR-1 and VR-2. Both he and the salesman thought the VR-1 sounded better. I've heard the VR-1 (also heard the VR-2, but they weren't hooked up properly) and thought they were incredible for the price. I'd definately check the VR-3 out too.

13. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I recently bought the VR-1's and these are awesome. I did in-house comparison of quite a few bookshelf speakers (aperions, axioms, ascends, odyssey-audio) and finally bought the VR-1's. I didn't do in-house comparison of any other floorstanding speakers with the VR-1, but I don't think these can be beat for their price. The VR-1's are right around the price range of some of the bookshelf speakers that I compared, but far superior in their performance.

14. Chris Grillo

Ganesh,

So you also liked the VR1 over the VR2?If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them?Also what does your system have in it?[​IMG]

15. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Chris,

No, I thought the VR-2's were slightly better than the VR-1's, but the VR-3's were more significantly better than the VR-2's and VR-1's.

I paid $540 for the pair of VR-1's. My rest of the system is VR-C center channel, Axiom QS-8's surrounds. I have a very old Aiwa powered sub which I will be replacing with a real sub pretty soon! Have a Denon 2803 driving all of these.

16. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Thinking out of the box a little, can your setup accomodate 2 more VR12'S? I am stuck ( for WAF reasons) with bookcases around my rear projector and I am using JBL S38's ( which are horizontally oriented by design) as LR speakers with an S Center and they work great. The VR 12is a Butt kicking center and is more than strong enough to handle main speaker duty, and you would not have to worry about the sonic match. If I upgrade again and am stuck with the same restrictions, I will buy 3 "Centers". Just a thought, since I don't know how you are set up.

17. Chris Grillo

Joseph,

I never thought of that. So I did some checking on ebay and I couldn't find any.I do love my VR12 any ideas on another place to find them? Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I can't think of any reason not to go that way!! only problem would be finding 2 more and at what price![​IMG]

ps no problem fitting 2 more in my room!

18. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Try uBid.com, another auction site that I have bought from before.

The VR 12's have an advantage over most centers with a vertically oriented midrange tweeter array which minimizes off axis lobing that you get with most center channels which would really narrow the sweet spot. My JBL's are also 3 ways and I get good response across my listening area from the center channel.

19. Chris Grillo

No luck at ubid or at ebay any other suggestions? I will keep looking but I may have to go with VR-1 or VR-2 if I can't find any!![​IMG]