1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Front Projection up to $10K...any help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob D, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Bob D

Bob D Extra

I'm looking to purchase a Front Projection and plan on spending up to $10K exclusive of the screen. I'm interested in DLP or LCD mostly due to low maintenance and setup issues. Room size is 9' x 18' and I would like a screen somewhere around 100" diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm mostly interested in viewing DVD and HDTV but don't plan on watching much standard TV with the unit.
    Any help and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. This can be a very confusing process and I would like to get the most for my money. I've been reading up on the Yamaha DPX-1, the Sanyo XP-21N(although it's 4:3), and the Seleco HT-200/250 a bit...any opinions regarding those or others? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Definitely check out the Sanyo PLV-60HT from Projector People. Price just dropped about $1,000 to $4,799 for a 16x9 bright projector. People on other forums have mentioned being able to watch this projector with a decent amount of ambient light.
    ------------------

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
  4. Carlos_R

Carlos_R Extra

For the best picure/image nothing currently is better than a CRT front projector. You can get a good 8" CRT for less than 5k. 8" FP to see would be Marquee 8500LC, Barco 808, 1208, NEC 9PG, and sony G70.
    they all produce excellent 7' to 9' wide images my preference would be the Marquee 8500LC
    You may should also try avsforum.com they have tons of info on CRT, and also DLP projectors.
    good luck
    carlos_r
    ECP 4500 (CRT FP)
    DIY screen 80 x 45" (painted)
    HTPC:
    Asus CUSL2 815E
    Intel PIII-800EB
    128M PC133 SDRAM
    Antec midtower w/300w ps
    Pioneer DVD-115 16x dvd rom
    IBM 75GXP, 30GB
    RADEON 64mb DDR/VIVO w/4.1 DVD
    Santa Cruz sound card DD/DTS
    Windows Me

5. Bob D

Bob D Extra

Carlos,
    Are you talking new or used CRT projectors under $10K? Thanks.

6. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

You can get CRT projector with brand new tubes (0 hours!!)for under $10K. These units also carry the dealer's warranty.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Hold your horses. Sharp has a new model coming out as we speak, the 9000. A real 16:9 DLP with an extra fast color wheel, 1100:1 (!) contrast and black level that's right up there with CRT according to what they're saying over on AVSForum.
    Retail $10k, should be available for less.
    Info on http://www.sharpelectronics.com I believe.
    This may just be my projector... looks pretty darn impressive on paper anyway, and the people who have seen it have pretty much all raved.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The picture from the Yamaha DPX-1 looked just totally awesome when I saw it in a showroom a while back. I have very little experience with FP systems, but it looked a LOT better than the Sony VPL-VW10HT. It was also very quiet. I would definitely check it out if I was you.
    /Mike

9. Kimmo Jaskari

The Yamaha seems to be a 4:3 unit, 1024x768 pixels. Personally I wouldn't buy anything but a true 16:9 projector these days.
    The Sharp has 1280x720 resolution - 16:9 and perfect for HDTV 720p, if you have access to that.
    http://www.sharpelectronics.com/prod...58,652,00.html
    ------------------
    /Kimmo
    [Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on September 06, 2001 at 04:19 PM]

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Here is a link to the Sharp 9000 projector. Looks good on paper for sure.
    Parker

11. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

"For the best picure/image nothing currently is better than a CRT front projector."
    "Bill Clinton was a much better President than Lyndon Johnson."
    What do these statments have in common? They are both matters of opinion, on which reasonable minds can differ.

12. Bob D

Bob D Extra

Thanks for the info guys. I already have my eye on the Sharp Z9000...can't wait to check that one out! I also looked into the Yamaha and some folks have said that it still has problems with rainbows - would still like to check it out as well. I've thought about the Sony 10HT but there are just too many issues I don't want to be troubled with(i.e Screen-door effect, dust blobs, poor black levels, etc.) - would give the 11HT a try however as it supposedly has corrected some of the problems with the 10HT. The Seleco HT-300 has also caught my eye and would like to compare that to the Sharp...would have to be much better however with a 3-5K diff in price.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Been looking at the web for reports from CEDIA and there seems to be several projectors coming out based on the TI 1280x720 resolution DLP with extra fast color wheels (to keep rainbow effect at bay). Just read a glowing report on AVSForum about DWIN's effort, apparently going to be called TransVision2.
    I thought the fact that you could get it with either a 150w or 270w bulb was kind of interesting. The 270 apparently will blast out some 1500 lumens... yeehaw. [​IMG]
    Definitely time for me to take out a loan and go with one of these FP's, I think.
    The fact that the Sony VW11HT apparently has a retail price of $8000 definitely means (to me) that a slightly more expensive DLP is the way to go for me. Whatever I get I'll be living with at least 5 years, more likely a decade, so it had better be pretty good to be worth the effort.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo
    [Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on September 07, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

14. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I just put my Seleco HT250 up in the Hardware Forsale/trade.
    And im not happy a that I had to. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

15. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Phil,
    It has been a statement of fact that on a reasonably sized screen the image quality of a good CRT projector cannot be beaten at a cost that anyone would consider reasonable. I just got home from CEDIA and from my extensive viewing of the projection devices at the show this statement still holds true. The LCD and DLP projectors do a credible job but the negatives still outweigh the positives if image quality is the sole criteria.

16. Carlos_R

Carlos_R Extra

With all due respect to those using LCD or DLP
    For the best picure/image quality nothing currently is better than a CRT front projector. A CRTfp does require that you have complete light control of your room, if you do not then you should consider a DLP projector.
    I have seen the other two formats and a properly calibrated CRT, and since my criteria is image quality I choose the CRT.
    Your milage may vary.
    and yes Bob less than $5k for a used 8" CRT combine this with an HTPC (W/Radeon video card & ATI 4.1 DVD) you will have an awesome image.
    see AVSFORUM.COM for others opinion on CRT vs DLP projectors
    good luck
    carlos_r
    ECP 4500 (7" crt fp)
    80x60 (16x9 diy screen painted fabric)
    HTPC, 1280x720 @72hz

17. Kimmo Jaskari

18. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I was going to recommend the same one as Kimmo. That Sony is a beast!
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

19. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Carlos here.
    A well calibrated CRT projector, in a light controlled room, gives a better (better blacks and contrast), more film-like picture than an LCD, D-ILA or 1-chip DLP (3-chip DLPs provide an awsome picture, but we're not talking about the same price range).
    But, yes, you need total light control, and there are setup and calibration procedures to follow, and maintain.
    Digital projectors have improved a lot, though.
    The best 1-chip DLP that I saw is the DWIN Transvision 1 (4:3 DLP chip) and the black levels were really good, and it had no visible pixels (it comes bundled with its dedicated video processor/scaler). It is very quiet too.
    I thought that it provided a better picture than the Yamaha.
    However, for me, 1-chip DLP projectors all have the same problem: the "raimbow" effect. I know that not everyone is bothered by that, but personally, I can't stand it.
    (it's the effect that shows red, green and blue color flashes when you blink or turn your head. This is created by the spinning color wheel used in the 1-chip DLP system)
    The JVC D-ILA projectors are also superior to traditional LCD technology, but they are quite noisy and generate a lot of heat. Also, the light bulb has to be replaced quite often and is fairly expensive.
    They can be a better choice than CRT projectors for very large screens.
    Also, both projectors listed above are over $10k new.
    Remember that a front projection system budget includes the projector, but also the screen and a video processor. (you don't want to project a 480i DVD picture on a 7' screen!!!)
    JW

20. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

If you want the best picture bar none under 25K but for only 10K there is a Sony 1292Q 9" CRT projector with 11 hours on the tubes for sale on AVS Forum classifieds area. I can't link to it now becuase they are down. But it is 6K and I think it still has some factory warantee left. Pair it with a Rock processor for around 4K and you will have the best picture under 25K. The only projector that can beat the 1292Q is a Sony G90U which is just a newer version of the 1292Q. But you can't touch one for under 20K.
    If I had 10K to spend that is what I would get.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here