Looking for framing ideas for this poster.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mick Wright, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Mar 10, 2000
    I haven't framed one like this before, so I'm looking for ideas. It's acrylic on canvas, a lot thicker than theatrical posters. The things I've framed in the past, I had them dry mounted and framed with glass. I've heard that plexiglass may be a better way to frame archival type stuff, though, so I'd like to hear from people who have tried it this way. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas to make this look great, and last long, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
  2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    From what I've read do not dry mount something that you want archivally framed. A good framer will know how to keep something flat in the frame without using dry mount or other adhesives.
  3. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2005
    Looks like a canvas transfer? or print on canvas.
    these are fine to stretch on to framing bars and then put into your favorite frame. A local frame shop should be able to help you out with that.
    If this is truly an original acrylic on canvas you should not need to put glass on it.
    Either way, it would be better displayed without glass. Acrylics should not be effected by lighting or anything in your Home Theater Room. There are Acrylic varnishes available that have UV protection if it is going into a well lit (natural light) room. Check with the artist or the printer to see if it has already been treated.
    If you think you want to take this on yourself, let me know I can give you some direction on how to do it. I used to run a frame shop.

Advise on a frame... I'd stretch and frame it showing no white with a large 2 1/2"-4" Black satin finish frame, round or soft edges with no details - ie beading. No glass. Looks like a pretty good size poster. If you have someone do it for you plan on spending at least $200-$300 to have it done right. Half that if you do it yourself.

Good luck! nice piece of art there.