Looking for feedback on TECHNICS SA-DA20N

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Jan 16, 2002.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any feedback on this receiver? It goes for $299 on J&R's website and it looks perty. It's about in the same range as the Denon 1602 and JVC RX8010VBK which I'm also considering as a bedroom receiver...

2. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Johnny, I've got the SADA10K and it's last year's version. It cost me about $200 and is a fantastic value. The amps are rated at 6 ohms so they are more powerful than other receivers claiming 100 w/ch at 8 ohms. They also have MOSFET amps so are on the warm side soundwise. I have several complaints about this receiver - it only has optical ins, the display can't be turned off completely, the remote can't fully control your dvd player (ff, rewind scanning does not work), and to change some speaker settings you have to do it on the unit itself not remotely. The champaigne finish is beautiful to look at.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A couple year ago with the release of the first DVD-Audio machines, Panasonic/Technics took some of their 5.1 models, prettied them up, and added better quality components, trying (in vain) to compete with the likes of Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, etc. in the mid-range Home Theater Receiver market. I believe the products were sound, but I don't think that they can rise above the "el cheapo" reputation that Technics audio has, despite the high quality and price tags. Nobody bought them, and as a result, they found their way to the electronics clearance/closeout retailers.

I have one of the results of this momentary foray into the mid-fi/hifi world, the first DVD-A player, the DVD-A10. I am very impressed with it both for DVDs and CDs. The SA-DA20N was built to be a companion to the DVD-A10 and I think they look great together. If you're not hung up on the latest and greatest formats like the ES/EX and DPL II I think the SA-DA20N is a hell of a deal and if I were in the market I'd jump all over one.

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Does anyone know how to modify the fan on the DA-10 to be on when the amp is turned on, instead of coming on at a certain volume???

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Cam,

Radio Shack sells some very quiet fans that you can put on top of the receiver and plug into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. I'd recommend this type of solution.

6. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

You may consider the REfurbed Pioneer VSXD-709S receiver from refurbdepot.com. This thing is built liek a tank. I ordered last Monday and got it Thursday. Got the three year extended warranty and the total shipped was only like $240. This thing is an elite without the badge on it. Has mofset amps and they are discrete too. Check it out. It's and excellent buy. Later.

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Philip, if I do what you said, will the fan be on all the time, or just when the amp is turned on?? I't prolly won't hurt the fan to be on 24/7, but it would be nice if I could somehow get it to come on ONLY when the amp power button is pressed on.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The fan will only be on when the receiver is on as long as your receiver has a switched outlet on the back. Almost all receivers have two or three switched outlets for low power devices on the back of them.

9. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

I actually have a SA-DA20N and really recommend it, especially if you're looking for quality audio. In this area,IMHO, the SA-DA20N competes in the mid to high arena and is therefore a true bargain. Get one while they last.

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

sweet, it does have a switched AC ouput that is only on when the amp is turned on, just what I need!!! Now can I just reroute the poer wires from the stock fan into a power dial nob and into the AC switched output???