looking for expert advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave lant, Nov 15, 2002.

1. dave lant

dave lant Auditioning

Hi, I'm new to this board and new to home theater equipment so i need a bit of advice. I'm looking for a htib setup that'll give me good bang for the buck. I bought a Sony dav-c450 system and i'm not happy with it. The first one i got the ejection mechanism on the dvd player didn't work so that kind of soured me right away but I'm also not overjoyed with the sound of the system. I can buy the pioneer HTZ-77 direct from pioneer for around the same price, does anyone have any experience with this product either good or bad? I know this isn't high end stuff but I have to convince my wife gradually that this is a good way to spend money [​IMG]. For now it will be in my living room (12' x 14') but I'd like to eventually like to purchase quality individual components and move this into our bedroom (baby steps right?). It'll mostly be for watching movies so my next question is how big of a deal is component video? The pioneer does not have it and i expect I'll be buying a new tv in the next year. Is this going to offer noticably better quality than s-video? Last question is how important is the total wattage of the system? The Pioneer is a more expensive system but only has half the wattage of many of the others, is this important? Any input would be great. Thanks, Dave.

2. dave lant

dave lant Auditioning

anybody?

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dave,

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

Right now, the Onkyo 650 HTIB is the crowd favorite. Check reviews at eCoustics, audioreview or Cnet for more info. It's around $499, and a 653 version is available with a DVD player.

You will notice an improvement with component video, but it will be based upon the size of your TV. A 27" S-video picture compared to a 27" component one will not make for a drastic difference. You will notice a difference at 32" plus, and especially for HDTV.

Don't worry about getting a HTIB with Component switching, since it will likely not have enough bandwidth for HDTV. You'll want to connect the component ins from the source right to your TV anyway.

And wattage, as stated by HTIB manufacturers, is almost meaningless. They rarely state the continuous wattage, and instead opt to print peak numbers in the specs. For a HTIB, disregard wattage numbers.

Instead, go with feedback on this and the AVS forum, as well as audioreview and ecoustics information. Then, pick the one that sounds best to you.

Happy shopping!

Derek

4. dave lant

dave lant Auditioning

thanks derek, i'll check out the onkyo. i appreciate the answers, just what i needed. [​IMG]