What's new

Looking For Equipment Racks (1 Viewer)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Been doing a lot of surfing and I'm not finding much in the way of what I'm looking for. I'm looking for component racks.

I found this rack and I like it but it is around 1800 MSRP (ouch!) less street but still salty non the less.

I like the fact that it pulls out and rotates 90 so the cables and the back of the equipment is accessible. I will have access to the back of the equipment anyway due to the equipment being placed on the back wall and there is the mechanical room directly behind it. I'm wondering if this is overkill or should I just go with a built in rack and have the back open to the mechanical room and deal with everything that way and forget about the movable option.

What do you think and what have you done in your own personal HT's to solve similar problems

Thanks

Rick

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
OOOPS wrong forum meant to post in the HT construction forum.

Please move if that is necessary

Sorry:b

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne

Just did not know how much of an advantage it would be to just slide it out and work on it without going into the "back room". I guess that I really could get better use out of the money for other things.

Any ideas on good "built in" rack plans or designs to point me to?

Thanks

Rick

wpgWiggum

Grip
Real Name
Adam
Depending on your preferences & skil, you may also find that building your own rack may be preferred. You could build the shelves to fit your components & airflow, and having it look the way you want.

If I were in your place, I would also go with the panel from the back room to access your components. I know I don't have to change around the cables for mine too often (unless I get a boat load of money and buy a new component, which I hoped occured more often)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Guys thanks for the input. I think that I have forgone the "Twist and Shout" and to clear it up the rack is shown installed in that entertainment center it is just the "rack" that is approx $1800 not including the wood entertainment center.

John I checked out the websites you provided and one of the first things I saw really caught my eye.

I like this and I think I could "swing" a look a like semi built in rack that closely emulates this design. I bet I could do it for far less that 1800 to boot!

Thanks again guys.

P.S. If anybody else has some other recommended sites for rack please chime in.

Rick

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have to see your equipment.
When finished I wont have access to anything but my DVD player and game systems. The Amps, Computer, Cable box, HDTV set top box, and power conditioner are on an industrial type rack in my component closet. I use a simple IR repeater from leapfrog to get IR signal to them. I was even able to hide the IR receiver behind a speaker grill so it cannot be seen either. My focus was minimal equipment being seen from the theater seating. Blinking lights, LED displays, and sound from components has always bothered me. If you have a closet, I'd say use it. IR repeaters are less that $30.00 for just such a purpose.
There are some older pics posted in my gallery link below. I haven't updated since installing speaker grills and DVD racks in the wall.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can turn all the displays off on all my gear, so there is nothing distracting either, just a few power lights - that was a must. I LIKE to see my gear, and not have to use an OSD to see what the status of everything is.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

I under stand that and I can see your point......My rack will be on the back wall so if I see the displays and such then I actually looking the wrong direction:b !!!!

Good tip about the repeater though I had just started thinking about that very issue. Do you have a link Brain to the product by chance?

Thanks guys

Rick

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can also go with an RF capable remote like the URC line and the Home Theater Master line (both made by the same company), and I think the new Logitech Harmony is RF capable now. Wiht the URCs you buy a base that has the IR repeater and they work very well - no IR target to hide in the main system area, and you can control the system from just about anywhere in the house.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Guys thanks for all the tips.

Brian....does the leap frog work pretty well for you?
I'll check those out

John do you have any "hands on" with those products? I had heard that the Harmony was going RF so I'll check that out too. RF will probably be the least complicated way to go and then I won't have to place a "target" near the front of my HT.

I'll keep my options open at this point though seems that my plans are always evolving!

Rick

joseph westcott

Second Unit
I am using the Harmony 688 with the Next Generation RF.
Not all models are supported so call them before buying a Logitech.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks