What's new

Looking for Entry Level Speakers and Receiver (1 Viewer)

shankze

Auditioning
Real Name
Shankze
I am new to the world of Home Theater systems. I am looking for entry level speakers and a receiver. As I am totally new to this, I need some help on choosing a good system. My budget is $650 (Speaker and Receiver combined).
I started with checking HTiB systems. I had a look at Denon, LG, Samsung and Sony Systems. Among these, I liked Denon DHT1513BA system which comes with Boston Acoustics speakers. The other option is to go for separate speakers and receiver. I have read very good reviews about Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. I am strongly considering Energy speakers. Here are my questions -
1) If I buy Energy Take 5.1 Classic, can you suggest me a good receiver to go with the speakers. I can spend around $250 on the receiver.
2) What features should I look for in a Receiver? I guess the minimum requirement is that it should be have 5 Channel
3) Who would you recommend - Denon DHT 1513BA or Enertgy Take Classic 5.1+ $250 receiver or any other combination?
Any input will be very helpful.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
DO NOT buy a HTIB system. You will regret it later. Those Energy speakers are very popular and highly rated, but it depends on the size of your room. Do you also need a subwoofer?
At Walmart.com you can buy the Pioneer 522 for $249. Also the Onkyo RC330 and RC430 are both less than $200. It just depends on what features you need(Number of HDMI inputs, 3D ready, etc).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Most HTiBs are to be avoided at all costs. But Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha have nice "packages" (they're not really HTiBs, they use real receivers and bundle a set of speakers). Usually the weakest link of the bumdles is the speakers, so your option with the Boston Accoustics sounds like a contender.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The BA of the 1312BA is Boston Acoustics. Calling that a HTiB is, like pointed out, a misnomer.
Are those BA "great speakers"? No...but for the price of the entire package you can't expect greatness. However, it will be an ENORMOUS improvement over the TV.
Those BA(coincidentally, Denon and BA have the same corporate owner) used to be(maybe still are??) available by themselves...
However, here is the closest approximation...
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-MCS100MDNT-5-1-Channel-System/dp/B000W9DO7U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352302064&sr=1-4&keywords=boston+mcs
Back in the day the DHT590BA(or was it the 591BA) was available...Denon actually boasted the speaker set was available "separate" and at the price of the 59XBA vs. the cost of the speakers themselves...you were getting the 59X for free.
That pricing scheme sold a ton of HTiB...I mean packages...for Denon.
And between the BA MCS(numerous versions) and the Energy Take (again, numerous versions)...Throw the model numbers in a hat and pick one. Seriously.

shankze

Auditioning
Real Name
Shankze
Thanks a lot for all the inputs.
Yes, after my initial research I did not like the idea of HTiB systems. The only reason I considered Denon DHT1513BA is because its not exactly a HTiB system, even though it comes in a box.
@Jim
-I need a sub-woofer and Energy take Classic comes with a 200 Watt sub-woofer.
I do like the suggestions for receiver. Here are some of the receivers that i found -
Pioneer 522 - $249.
Onkyo RC360 - $298 (this is a 7.2 channel receiver)
Denon AVR-1513 - $250
Yamaha RX-V373 - $250
All of them are within my budget. Will these be compatible with Energy take Classic 5.1? Which one do you suggest?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any AVR is compatible with the Take 5.1.
Buy the AVR that fits your needs.
Want networking? Buy the RC360.
Want automatic room correction(YPAO/MCACC/Aud)? Don't buy the 1513(it doesn't have it)
Need a front HDMI? Buy the Denon or Onkyo.

shankze

Auditioning
Real Name
Shankze
Thanks for all the replies. I bought Energy Take 5.1 speakers and now I am down to 2 receivers.
1) Yamaha RXV373
2) Harman Kardon AVR 1700
I have to pick 1 out of these 2. The price difference between the two is not an issue. I am looking for automatic room correction. Networking is not a must but a good to have. The most important criterion is output quality.
Any input will be very helpful.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pick the AVR with the features you'll use. Period.
The Energy Take is not the greatest end all of 5.1 packages...so any bottom rung AVR fits right in.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But if you want something "real" for $500...
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353989614&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+dv62si ( 2 pairs)
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV-62CLRS-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00009WBYL/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z
The DV62(for me) show $97/pair. Typically they are around $110 pair. That BIC set up will kick both the Energy Take and ML MLT-2 to the curb.
If the above set-up(cause Amazon does show different people...a different price) is over $500...for you...change out the F12...for this...
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-V-1220-430-Watt-Down-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353989868&sr=1-1&keywords=bic+v1220 (or even the 1020)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For quite a while the Energy take Classic and Boston Acoustics CS-2300 were hard to beat for under $300 for a small 5.1 system but recently the ML system (used to be $600-$700) and the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 ($500-$600) have been selling for $249 and $199 at Newegg.com. But there are other speakers I'd rather have then all of them for $500 including two pair of Infinity Primus 153's/163's (when on-sale at Fry's/Crutchfields and C250 center and the subwoofer of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks