Looking for economical used dlp projector ...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by George V, Nov 19, 2004.

1. George V

George V Extra

Dec 27, 2000
    I am still very new to projection... But that is the direction I want to go now. Where would I go to purchase a good quality USED projector? I have a VERY limited budget of about $1000. I realize that $1000 won't get me much, but that is the budget. Very skeptical of ebay for such items...

Projector would be used in small basement with a throw distance of 10'.

Comments or thoughts? Is there a place in HTF where I could/should ask this question? (specifically if any one has a used projector for sale?)

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Feb 11, 2004
    George, you could buy a NEW projector for less than $1,000.
    Go to Projectorcentral.com and read the reviews of the Infocus X1, Sanyo Z1, Benq 6100(ALL less than $1,000 NEW).
    I have the Infocus X1 and love it. I paid $799 for X1 new, built a screen, 106" diagonal for $40.00, and built a ceiling mount for $10.00. The X1 is discontinued, but you may still find one online, try GOOGLE. I bought mine at Circuit City.
    Do you know if you want a DLP or LCD projector?
    Do DLP "Rainbows" effect you?
    Is your throw set at 10', cannot be moved?
    What size screen do you hope to use?
    How far from screen will you sit?
  3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    I would say that a new projector for under a grand, entry level, will provide better performance than an older generation used at that price.

This is only digital projectors, though, the ultimate bargain wouldbe a used CRT for this price, but im not sure if your room/needs support CRT.