Looking for DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd_N, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Todd_N

Todd_N Agent

My Pioneer Elite DV-05 that I purchased back in 98 or 99 I think is on its last legs so I am looking for a new player. By reading many threads here I see alot has changed technologically since then. I am looking for a player in the $400 dollar range. SACD and DVDA really arent important to me. This player will be used for watching movies only. I have a Pioneer 710HD set so I do not have DVI and my set locks in 'Full' mode when receiving a progressive signal so I would like a player where I can turn off progressive scan when I view nonanamorphic discs. I have read about the Panasonic RP91 and it interests me (nonanamorphic scaling) but I am concerned about the reliability of it and it seems difficult to find a new (non-refurbished) one. I have read good things about the Denons (2200,1600, etc.) DCDI would definately be a plus. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Philips 963 has DCDI (as well as a host of other things, including a 13-bit/108-mhz video DAC, NSV and something called Match Line). It is, however, one of those kinds of things where mine works fine, yet a lot of other people have had a lot of problems with it (I have had some issues with the player, as well, yet, oddly enough, a new, much bigger - yet not terribly expensive - power cord seems to have solved my player's issues). Anyways, I like the Philips lots, but the Denons are probably a safer bet.