Looking for DVD Changer with RAM playback & SCALING features.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Good, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    That's the magic question.

I want the video playback quality of a Panasonic 72 or 82, the RAM playback of all the Panasonic models, but the ability to take non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and make them looks correct on my Mitsubishi HD 16x9 set. It locks into one particular mode with a progressive signal, so letterbox, non-anamorphic disc end up with black bars on all four sides. (Would that be a 1:33x zoom? So many players feature 2x and 4x only...) I currently have a Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player and its zoom/shrink allows for reducing image to correct for overscan, too. I like this player (chroma bug, I know), but would like to have a multi-disc player, as I have an intro disc I'd like to play before the feature, without using two seperate players.

So...are the JVC changers what I should look at?

I look at pricegrabbers sites, and am weary to trusting the specs listed. Some of the Toshibas listed claim they playback DVD-RAM discs--I'm pretty sure this is a mistake. The Panasonic 72 changer doesn't have enough of a zoom feture to suit my needs.

Can anyone off some help?

2. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

It would be nice if they'd start packing the best stuff in the changers. So far, I've seen no sign of this happening.
    I love my Sony Progressive changer, but alas no scaling (which I need), and I believe a bit of a chroma bug.
    I may soon sacrifice the fun of a changer for a better player. I'd like the new Philips if only they could fix the Pillar-box problem.

3. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    a shameless bump, hoping for someone else to weigh in. do the JVC progressive changers have a 1.33X zoom?

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Steven,

I believe the JVC 900 should do what you want as far as zoom/scaling goes, but I have no idea about DVD-RAM support.

_Man_

5. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    went to several stores with a VCD, SVCD, DVD-R and a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD in hand to do some testing. the JVC changer i tested only had 2X zoom and greater (also had shrink image features, too). so, no good for me.

poop.

time to look for a toshiba sd-3755 5 disc changer and live with a little chroma bug...