What's new

Looking for DVD Changer with RAM playback & SCALING features. (1 Viewer)

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
That's the magic question.

I want the video playback quality of a Panasonic 72 or 82, the RAM playback of all the Panasonic models, but the ability to take non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and make them looks correct on my Mitsubishi HD 16x9 set. It locks into one particular mode with a progressive signal, so letterbox, non-anamorphic disc end up with black bars on all four sides. (Would that be a 1:33x zoom? So many players feature 2x and 4x only...) I currently have a Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player and its zoom/shrink allows for reducing image to correct for overscan, too. I like this player (chroma bug, I know), but would like to have a multi-disc player, as I have an intro disc I'd like to play before the feature, without using two seperate players.

So...are the JVC changers what I should look at?

I look at pricegrabbers sites, and am weary to trusting the specs listed. Some of the Toshibas listed claim they playback DVD-RAM discs--I'm pretty sure this is a mistake. The Panasonic 72 changer doesn't have enough of a zoom feture to suit my needs.

Can anyone off some help?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It would be nice if they'd start packing the best stuff in the changers. So far, I've seen no sign of this happening.
I love my Sony Progressive changer, but alas no scaling (which I need), and I believe a bit of a chroma bug.
I may soon sacrifice the fun of a changer for a better player. I'd like the new Philips if only they could fix the Pillar-box problem.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
a shameless bump, hoping for someone else to weigh in. do the JVC progressive changers have a 1.33X zoom?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Steven,

I believe the JVC 900 should do what you want as far as zoom/scaling goes, but I have no idea about DVD-RAM support.

_Man_

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
went to several stores with a VCD, SVCD, DVD-R and a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD in hand to do some testing. the JVC changer i tested only had 2X zoom and greater (also had shrink image features, too). so, no good for me.

poop.

time to look for a toshiba sd-3755 5 disc changer and live with a little chroma bug...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks