Looking for DIY surround speakers, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric M Jones, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Hi,
    I'm going to build some surround speaker for a friend. He's looking for something compact (11h 6w 6d, or so) and inexpensive (around $100 a pair).
    We were considering the K05B41 from speakerpage.com. These look like they'd fit the bill quite well. Anyone out there build these?
    I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions before he commits to these?
    -EJ

2. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Eric, I've built several of Sound Clearing House' K05B41 monitor size speakers and can say they are the best sound/value speaker I've ever heard. They make great front speakers (L,C & R).
    I built the T62 Speaker City for my surrounds: http://www.speakercity.com/ht_rear.shtml
    I bought the componenets from Speaker City, they furnished the outside dimensions, and I built the cabinets, which was a challenge because of the angle cuts required. They work great - perform on intended discreet as well as ambiance sounds.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

4. Ben Yang

Ben Yang Extra

Ditto the speakerpage project. Their kits are easy to build, and offer clean neutral sound at amazing prices. Here's a link for my Speakerpage front towers. Wayne and the others at speakerpage were extremely helpful, honest and knowledgeable. You can't go wrong.
    My 2 cents,
    Ben
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~wpsg/

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

oops N/M
    [Edited last by Philip_G on November 06, 2001 at 10:34 PM]

6. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator