Looking for display advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick Wunder, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Rick Wunder

Rick Wunder Extra

About three and a half years ago, I took the plunge and built a home theater system (not an actual theater, like some of you have - maybe someday [​IMG]). Because my budget was not unlimited and because of uncertainty regarding the future of HDTV (programming, price, etc.), I "skimped" on my display, planning to upgrade in the future. The set I bought was a JVC 36" SD 4x3 direct-view, which was certainly an upgrade from my old 27" set, and it is serving me well. Finally, I am taking baby steps toward the aforementioned upgrade to some type of HD display.

I have read this site over the past few months, and it is very informative - there is obviously a lot of collective knowledge on this site. My problem now is that I am not sure what type of display would be best for me. It almost seems like I need one type to view my movies on DVD and another to watch TV (digital cable, in my case), depending on whether or not the source is HD.

Here are some particulars:
    Room size - 19' x 14', with the display on one of the 14' walls and the couch at the other end.
    Audio - Yamaha receiver, Infinity 5.1 speaker system (sorry, I don't know model numbers).
    Toshiba 5-disc DVD changer.
    Budget - I'd like to keep it under $4000, if possible.

One of the biggest questions I have right now is this: Are there displays out there that are just monitors - no speakers, tuners, etc.? It seems that since I do all of my channel switching via my cable box and all the audio goes through the receiver, I wouldn't need a tuner or speakers, all of which it seems would add to the price of the unit.

Based on all that, could I get a recommendation from one or more of you? What would be the best type of display for my situation?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

1) RPTV probably at least a 57" in that size room
    In order Pioneer, Toshiba, Mitsubishi from all of my readings....

2) YOu can get into Front Projection but I am not sure you want that but you do get a nice picture.

Keeping it under $4,000 for the TV is easy....you can get a nice 57" Toshiba for like $2,200 I believe.....

You can use the TV for both movies and TV viewing ....

Go look around and check out some TV's see what you like

3. John S

John S Producer

$4000, go DLP man, and never look back.....

My budget of a skimpy $1200 is dictating it has to be RP, so I am going for the largest I can get for that price, that I actually like the HDTV video it produces.

Good luck on the purchase.

4. Rick Wunder

Rick Wunder Extra

Thanks for the prompt response, Chad.

Chad's reply brings up another question that I forgot to ask: Which format (CRT, LCD, DLP) would be best?

On edit - I see that my reply and John's crossed in cyberspace. Thanks, John.

RW

5. John S

John S Producer

I have been out looking, and all the DLP sets seem a cut above to me anyways.

6. Rick Wunder

Rick Wunder Extra

Thanks to all who replied.