Looking for computer subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_Stirlin, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Mike_Stirlin

Mike_Stirlin Auditioning

price needs to be around $200 - $300, needs to be able to get low and loud.

like to listen to rap and techno, lots of bass

powered would be essential

thanks

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Do you mean all new computer speakers? Or just a subwoofer that can be added to an existing 2-speaker setup?

You could get just about any powered 8" or 10" subwoofer whose amplifier has stereo preamplifier inputs and outputs (as many do) and then use a Stereo 1/8" to Stereo RCA converter and plug it into the input, and then go from the output RCA jacks with another Stereo RCA to Stereo 1/8" converter (these can be found at any RadioShack) and plug that into the back of your existing computer speakers.

If you want loud bass from a set of computer speakers, look at the Logitech Z-2200 speakers. This is a two-channel version of the popular Z-540, and it is THX-Certified, which probably counts for something.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Save your money. A $200 - $300 sub will not do justice for techno and rap, especially if you want low and loud. A DIY in that range might, I'm not familiar with DIY though. Save up for an SVS, HSU, or some well respected brand. Or, you can do like I did, forget the sub and get some serious mains. I'll add a sub someday, but I'm content for now. Just my $0.02. Good luck looking.

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

But for a computer? SVS/HSU would be a bit overkill I think, but that might not be the case for everybody.

Mike, is your computer your main sound system? If so, then a good sub like SVS and HSU would do the trick. If not, the Sony SA-WM40 has gotten some decent reviews around here as a good bang-for-the-buck sub at around your price range. Just make sure it has the inputs/outputs you need.

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

If your looking for computer speakers specifically, I can say the the Logitech Z-560 or Z-680 set comes with an unbeleivable sub, as far as computer speakers go mind you.

6. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I'd avoid the computer speaker systems altogether if you can. I tried a small upgrade to a Cyber Acoustics set for $50 on top of the cost of my new computer, and it was cool for about an hour after hooking them up. I returned them and got what was supposed to be about the best setup for a computer, a Boston Acoustics system that was proprietary to Gateway, but had been returned to the Fry's I visited. It was supposed to be about on a par with the highly regarded Logitech Z-680 system, but basically it didn't cut it either.

If you can, just get a $3 mini-plug to RCA y-splitter and hook the output of your soundcard or headphone jack from the computer to a receiver and proper home speakers. I had an old Pioneer 100wpc receiver available, and picked up some 1984 Cerwin Vega floor standing speakers on ebay for

7. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

I'm surprised the Klipsch Promedia line hasn't been mentioned... as far as computer speakers go, they are pretty highly regarded. We had them in my apartment last year, and they sounded better than the HTIB across the hall [​IMG] I personally prefer them to the Logitechs, but the Logitechs are pretty nice. However, last I heard the 5.1 Promedia is $400. A bit costly for computer speakers, IMO.

I think Jonty's advice is pretty good... since it's for a computer, see about used home audio stuff for cheaper prices.

8. Mike_Stirlin

Mike_Stirlin Auditioning

thanks for all the advice all!

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer