Looking for Computer Building info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_S, May 31, 2002.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Feb 8, 2001
    Hi, I'm looking to build a computer before I head off to college and am looking around for a forum for computer building (like HTF is for HT building): or maybe I can get help or a shove in the right direction here (I'm also currently scanning AVS HTPC forum).

What I'll be using this PC for primarily:
    Watching DVDs
    Word Processing and related activities
    Surfing the internet
    Video Editing
    Image Editing
    occasional gaming

My budget is $3,000:
    includes printer, monitor, excellent headphones (no speakers please), all software and hardware and surge protector.

Hardware I'd like to get:
    DVD burner
    CD burner (opt. can cannibalize oen i bought for parents comp)
    at least 512 DDR RAM preferablly closer to a gig
    a good video card for movies
    a good audio card for headphones
    a processor at least 1 ghz
    at least a 60gig HD
    ethernet card (opt. can cannibalize one i bought for parents comp)
    motherboard and matching tower to handle all of this
    solid powersupply and fan

windows XP pro
    adobe photoshop 7.0 upgrade
    quicktime pro
    good burning dvd and cd programs
    good dvd player program

of course since I'm looking at video editing you're going to say MAC! but with macs it seems like you get a third of the power with less tweakability for the same price. I look at the list price on G4 towers and it's 3k just for the tower thats only a 2 gig processor with 512 of ram and no software or monitor or printer. that to me is absolutely ridiculous, even if the architecture of the hardware is optimized to run better than a pc.
  2. Chris Holland

Chris Holland Auditioning

Nov 29, 2001
    With a budget of 3k, you can have everything that you asked for and more. A great resource for finding reviews on individual computer parts/components is Toms Hardware Guide .
    Here is a quick little list on what I can help you with. This is actually what I am using in one of my computers for a vid edit station and it's very stable.
    DVD burner - Que DVD burner $370. This little unit is relatively cheap yet I've had no troubles with one yet. I have one of these in my own 'puter, and two of them at work. All of them work flawlessly.
    CD burner - You cant beat Plextor. I have the 16/10/40 works great.
    RAM - it's still pretty cheap. Get a gig.
    Video card - Elsa Gladiac 920 GF3. Also use Matrox G550's at work. Seems to be fine for vid processing, but along with them I use a Matrox RT2500 vid capture card.
    Sound card - I personally still like the SB Audigy Platinum with the breakout box. But others can chip in here for something a little cheaper.
    CPU - 2.2Ghz P4(b) 533FSB nough said. If you want a stable reliable box, with fewer installation woes. Go with Intel. I have always liked AMD, but Intel is still better as far as stability goes.
    Hard Drive - WD Caviar 120. In one word "quiet"
    Ethernet card - on mother board
    motherboard - ASUS based on i845E
    solid powersupply and fan - Check PC Power and Cooling
    Hope that helps,
  3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Nov 3, 2000
    I just built a KICK ASS computer for around $1250 (well... as soon as I get all those mail-in-rebates back [​IMG] ).
    My components:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (@ 1.7ghz)
    ECS K7S6A mobo
    512MB DDR2700 RAM
    VisionTek GeForce3 Ti200
    TDK VeloCD 32/10/40 CD-RW (BURNproof)
    Lian Li Aluminum Case w/ side window
    PCMODS.COM Cold Cathode Light (blue) for the inside of the case)
    Vantec Rounded IDE cables
    LinkSYS 10/100 NIC
    I bought about 75% of my stuff online and the rest at a local computer convention [​IMG]
    Good Luck!
  4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Jul 11, 1999
    You have alot of options with $3,000. Go to www.alienware.com, www.buildpc.net or www.ibuypower.com (I'm sure there are many more but these three are very reputable). These sites will offer you a wide variety of options that you can choose as you wish.
  5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Mar 11, 2000
    Oh man! 3 grand! I wish I had that much to build a computer with. Everyone above me is right. You can get whatever you want for that money and it'll probably cost less than you think. Check out www.sharkyextreme.com and www.tomshardware.com for their weekly cpu and memory prices. Find a motherboard you want, and match a cpu to it and then get memory. I found the motherboard the most time consuming part. There are so many out there its really hard to compare them all. After that its pretty easy.
  6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Apr 11, 1999

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

Dec 14, 2001

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Mar 16, 1999
    For 3-grand you can get everything you want, plus a backup PC as a spare! [​IMG]
    If this is going to be in a dorm room (e.g., bed or living area in the same room) I would look to buy things that are ultra quiet.
    For a few extra bucks (well within your budget) you can ultra quiet cooling fans and power supplies.
    I believe http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com has extra quiet hardware. Maybe better sites out there than them though.
    I'd think you could get a dual CD/DVD write/reader somewhere too.
  9. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Dec 11, 1999
    For a good forum with discussion on computers (building, repairing, tweaking, etc.), as well as general topics (sports, entertainment, cars, trivia, etc.), check out my own site: JJR512.com [​IMG]