What's new

Looking For Comparable Lighting Solution (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Hey Gang

Looking for some input. The foyer to my theater has been a thorn in my side as its lighting options are limited. It's a fairly low ceiling with little clearance above as the HVAC ductwork passes overhead. As such I opted to place a simple puck light in the center - which I hate. In retrospect I should have placed sconces on either side of the door. As another alternative I noticed this great track lighting in an issue of Audio/Video Interiors:

Fortunately that article included the name of the manufacturer: Bruck Lighting Systems. Really slick lighting rig, with a price tag that almost made my heart stop. The idea had was to wind it in a circle as it looks something like a filmstrip. It's sold in 4' sections which would give me close to the 32" diameter I figured would work. Price: C$3K plus another $600 to ship from Germany.

Not.

So, can anybody suggest a similar product that has that type of filmstrip/filmreel appearance?

Roy Brooks

Agent
Jay:
The system looks like is low voltage probably 12v. I've made similar wire rope fixtures before. I don't think that it would be too difficult to make if you were mechanically inclined. The bulbs look like those that are used in the dome lights of cars, some small springs to hook from the end of the bulb to a hole drilled in the 1" by 1/16" aluminum conductor and some insulators to keep everything isolated. Looks like it could be another interesting project.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
More interested in existing product. Not planning on cobbling something together myself. Good tips though for the DIY guys out there.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Snazzy, yes, and at C$3K - obscenely expensive to boot!

I don't know how much it costs, but here's another possibility... I'm gonna have to pull some of this from memory and may not be able to track down links quickly - they may show up later.

Anyway, we had some LV track installed that looked like metal rod - it was actually two metal semi-hemispheres with an insulating plastic binder between them, completing the circular profile. We had straight sections and 'bent' sections that could form curves. Don't know what sort of minimum radius you can get for it, though.

The 'fixture' was a double-jointed 'clamp' that clipped onto the rail; one copper-lined pressure-pad per metal side of the rail, had two joints for flexibility and aim, and then a G5.3 base. That's it.

Now, you could get some bi-pin 10w T3 lamps - often used in Home Depot Undercounter lights and things like that - and plug them into the socket into a no-profile light fixture. Articulate the fixture to the side, vertical, or the other side. Or both. Ours had a custom 12v power supply that clipped onto the rails, but almost any sort of 12v power would work, so depending on your load-type, it's dimmable, too.

Now, for references...

...erm, they're gonna have to wait; can't find any of 'em handy right now.

Leo

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Addenda:

The fixture itself is a Betec part number 69SL03oo05

Web site:

Betec

the product falls loosely into the Galaxis line.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks