Looking for cheap 25-27" TV for my bedroom...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lower end (not flatscreen) 25 or 27" TV for my bedroom to replace my 7 year old 15". I, unlike many (I think), have had good luck with cheap RCAs in the past. I was browsing at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Walmart's websites, and found a lot from many different brands for under $300 (which is my absolute max). Among them, RCA models F25441, F27440, F27650, and F27450, Philips 27PS55S, Toshiba 27A32, Sharp 27US50, and Apex AT2402 and AT2702.

So, my questions.

First, some of the TVs have the speakers on the side (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27), some have them on the bottom (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27). What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Which is better?

RCA models F27650 and F27450 look just alike, but F27450 is $250 at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3996%3A4560), while the other is $300 at BB and CC (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27). What is the difference?

I'm assuming the Apex brand is absolute crap? I was at CC, and the picture looked okay on both the 24" and 27". Also, both offered SVideo. What, if anything, makes these TVs so bad that I should stay away?

I will be hooking up a VCR and PS2 now, and possibly a receiver in the future. Should this affect my decision in any way?

I'm just looking for any help/advice. Thanks a lot.

Tim

2. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

My wife has an Apex in her room that really sucks the speakers are on the side and seem to fire backwards the tv is in a cabinet so the sound isn't very good. You can sit right in front of the tv but still have to crank it up. It's funny because she'll be watching tv with the sound turned up and I'm down the hall at the computer and I can understand every word coming out the back of the cabinet[​IMG] Oh and the picture is not that great but all she watches is the soap channel any way. I bought a samsung last year to go in the office/ computer room nice picture s-video in back and an extra video hook up on the front can't remember model # but got it at best buy for under 300. [​IMG]

3. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Hey Tim, you mentioned the RCAf650 and RCAf450 models. I checked them out before Christmas. I think the difference between them is probably that the RCAf650 has a input designed for the gamers who own the X-box console. They looked great though and reviews so far have been good at amazon.com. I actually ended up getting the jvc27d303 though. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

4. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I really have my heart set on the RCA F450, Walmart had it listed on it's website for $250, but now it says it's out of stock. I plan on going to my local Walmart and seeing if they have any left. I'm curious, does anybody know if they make this model anymore? If they do, I'll just wait until they have more in stock, but I'm guessing they quit making it and replaced it with the RCA F650 (same thing, but w/Vport). I may just end up dropping the extra $50 for the F650 if there aren't going to be anymore F450s. Just wondering if anybody knew anything about them. Thanks.

5. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Tim, I really think that certain stores like Wal-Mart, sell a model like the rcaf450 because it has less bells and whistles thus lower price. You can check the rca web page for the specific model #. I think they are still making it, next year it may go by rcaf451 maybe. Keep us informed.

6. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I ended up getting the RCA 27450, but from Shopko, not Walmart. Walmart was out, so I went across the road to Shopko, and they happened to have one left. It's nice, I like the sound, picture is good. Only problem I have now is I need a new antenna.