Looking for CD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimmyK, Jul 4, 2002.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    My old Pioneer CD player is starting to make a slight popping sound in the left channel on occasion. A friend has joked that it must be in the analog LP mode. Actually, it really does remind me of the occasional popping from vinyl records.

Anyway, I will probably end up replacing this player sometime this year. I do have a Toshiba SD6200 DVD player, but it's error correction on CDs is not as good as my Pioneer CD player. I have a few CDs that play fine on the Pioneer but skip on the Toshiba (BTW, I've had no trouble with DVDs on the Toshiba, even rentals). Despite careful handling, a few of my CDs have a few scratches on them (some of these CDs are almost 20 years old!).

I'm looking for a CD player with excellent error correction, reliability, great sound from the analog outputs as well as the option to use digital outputs (preferably coax, but optical would work also), easy track navigation, and a single tray design. My Pioneer had all these things except a digital output.

Any suggestions? Any ideas where I can find reviews/information on players including error correction performance (I know Stereo Review use to publish error correction performance on players they reviewed).

It's been many years since I've shopped for a CD player, so any help is greatly appreciated.

JimmyK

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jimmy, what is your budget? Do you want a single-disc player, a carousel changer, a megachanger, or does it really matter?

I feel many of today's players have good error correction. NAD's single-disc players released in 2000 and 2001 had a reputation for being sensitive to scratched discs, but their current models seem to be better.

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Single disc design. Not sure about the budget (maybe less than $500?).

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jimmy, some single-disc players to consider in and around your price range include the NAD C 541i (see www.nadelectronics.com), Music Hall MMF CD25 (see www.audioadvisor.com), Arcam DiVA CD62 (see www.arcam.co.uk), Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (see www.upscaleaudio.com), Heart CD5000 (see www.fsaudioweb.com), and Cambridge Audio D500SE (see www.cambridgeaudio.com). All of these players are highly capable for the money. You should be able to find a considerable amount of information on all of them on the Digital Drive board on www.audioasylum.com . Best of luck.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jimmy, you might also check out the Rotel RCD-961 and '1070 (www.rotel.com). Both might be out of your price range, however.

6. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'd recommend checking out the Arcam. I use their DV88 DVD player for my audio CD's and it sounds great (handles scratched CDR's without a problem). I can only imagine how good their dedicated CD players will sound.

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will certainly check them out.

Keep them coming!

JimmyK

8. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I have a Mint used Sherwood Newcastle CD980 for sale in the For Sale forum.. Its a sweet sounding player for the dollar.

9. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    This is becoming frustrating. I did find a local Rotel dealer that I plan on visiting this week. However, the Rotel players do not have a headphone jack (I forgot to mention in my post that I would like to have this feature if possible.).

I tried looking on Pioneer's site and did find a cd recorder (PDR-609) that has been rated well with many users. Even though I'm not looking for a recorder in particular, I would consider it if it has what I want. This model does have a headphone jack, Burr Brown DACs, and if it's like other Pioneer's, it should handle defect tracking very well.

I did a search online and could not find any familiars dealers that carried this model. I'm wondering if this model is still current (looking at Pioneer's web site it seems to be current). Anyone here know if this model is still available?

Thanks,
    Jimmy K

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jimmy, I don't believe the Pioneer '609 is still in production. Pioneer's web site is not always up to date. However, it was made recently, so you might still be able to track it down. That said, I don't feel the '609 is going to compete with the single-disc players I recommended in an earlier post above. Of course, the '609 is cheaper.

11. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks Keith. I did audition the Rotel RCD-961 last night and liked it very much. They offered a price break as I was hesitant to spend $500 on a CD player. I figured I could work around the headphone issue later, so I went ahead and bought it.

I was disappointed at the lack of selection of moderately priced CD players. Things have certainly changed since I last bought one. Hopefully, the Rotel will serve my well for many years.

I'm not sure the Rotel sounds that much better than my Toshiba DVD player (SD-6200), but the Rotel doesn't skip on my problem discs, and thats a big plus. It does seem that the Rotel has a more open soundstage than my Toshiba, and certainly sounds more natural than the Pioneer player that it is replacing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

JimmyK

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jimmy, congratulations on your purchase. I hope the Rotel continues to work for you. I agree that the selection of quality players priced at $1000 or less is somewhat limited. At least you don't have to worry about it anymore. [​IMG]