What's new

Looking for bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Hyo

Auditioning
Listened to Linn Katan speakers, and B&W CM2. Like the Linn better. Didn't get a chance to listen to the Vienna Acoustics Haydan yet. Any suggestions on other bookshelf speakers in this category?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Dyanaudio Audience 52s, and paradigm studio 20s. I think the 52s are the better of these two though.

Steve-sas

Agent
The Linn Katans are nice speakers...one of my favorites...but VERY difficult to drive.

Definitely listen to the Haydns. Can be boomy with impropper placement...but a very nice, smooth, non-fatiguing speaker.

Polk LSi7 or LSi9. Some of the best upper range in any speaker less than $1,000.

NHT SB3 - Acoustic suspension - Great bass from a small bookshelf speaker.

Boston VR-M60 - Classic "Boston " sound.

Sonus Faber Concertino - Wonderful sound but a little bass shy.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the rec on the ACI Emeralds. Real little sonic gems for sure! Heck of a great bunch of folks to deal with as well

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't going to say anything else about the ACI Emeralds, but here goes:

I've had mine for 9 days. Last weekend I did some listening against NHT M5's, my old Paradigm Atoms, and Energy C-3's. It was really no contest. The ACI is a brilliantly detailed speaker, which is something of a double-edged sword. Good recordings are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, but bad recordings can be hard to listen to. With the other speakers I mentioned, all recordings more or less sound the same.

Getting these speakers has reinvented my system and has totally reinvigorated my music listening!

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
PSB makes some respectable bookshelves. I'm not familiar with your price range, but even the PSB Alpha A/V's at $225 a pair are respectable. I tend to suspect you are in a higher price range, but PSB will have good offerings there. The Image line of PSB may be more your speed.

The Alphas were my first ever "mains" (when a grand had to get a CD, AVR, and speakers). Now they pull duty as surrounds and cut the cake just fine until I get to upgrading them. They're a good Canadian company. Haven't ever seen much of a discussion on them here, but the world is full of little secrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks