What's new

Looking for Bookshelf speakers that can actually be placed on A bookshelf (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know of a good quality bookshelf speaker that actually sounds good ON a shelf instead of a stand.
If I wanted bookshelves on a stand, I would buy floorstanding speakers(which I have)instead.
Any one know of anything?
Snell Speakers claim that a switch on their speakers will allow placement in a cabinet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator
[Edited last by Jake T on August 24, 2001 at 08:12 PM]

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
first off, IMO, a good "bookshelf" on a stand (assuming you run a sub to make up the deep end) will sound better than a comparably priced floorstander.
as for speakers on a shelf- well, all those surfaces that make up a bookcase WILL color the sound. when i was in the same boat (for SAF reasons) i had my NHT super ones in an entertailment center, i pulled them out so that they extended as far out off the shelf into the room as possible. they sounded good that way, but not nearly as good as they did when they were 2 feet form the nearest flat surface on stands.
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!
Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks :)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
I'm still fairly new to HT. What exactly IS colorization?
Also, just exactly how much of a difference in sound is it and in what capacities?
Can I put some sort of Vibrapod or spike on them while on the shelf?
Sorry for all the dumb questions but I can't find the answers anywhere else.
Look at my home page link above and you'll see why I want to get Bookshelves. I cant keep these Dynaudios in there and the wife won't have them on the floor. They are too high and too close together. They are for sale by the way.
Thanks for any answers.
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Colorations come from frequency dependant boosts or cuts of the sort you get when you have a speaker next to a reflective surface.
For example, your favorite diva might sound like she has a chest the size of a weight lifter's or that she's holding her nose. Boxy and boomy colorations are also not unusual.
The difference is _huge_, and make improperly placed $2000 pairs of speakers sound worse than $200 speakers that have been set up right.
Tweaks will make no real difference, although you may be able to fool yourself into thinking you're helping. The best you can do is fix the problem with equalization, whether in the speaker cross-over or an external box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks