What's new

looking for bookshelf, 5.25 inch cones, cherry, under 250 bucks (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why so specific?

Axio M2Ti - sinlge 5-1/4 or M22Ti - dual 5-1/4. Light maple or dark cherry.

Paradigm Atom - light cherry.

Barrett

Auditioning
How about the Polk RT15i? I haven't heard these speakers, but Polk's website (www.polkaudio.com) indicates that they have a 3/4-inch tweeter and a 5 1/4-inch woofer, they're available in a real cherry wood finish, and they retail at $119.95 each. You might give 'em a look. If I remember correctly, Stereophile magazine named the next speaker up the line, the RT25i, its Budget Component of the Year last year, so I would imagine that the line deserves consideration. Good luck!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i got a pair of vr-m50 and vr-mc. i want smaller speakers for surround whose looks matches them. thanks for the suggestions. and i couldnt find vr-m50 below 400 bucks! i paid 500 shipped, ebay.

btw, john garcia, i was thinking about axiom m2ti, but somebody on the other thread told me it wont match my vr-m50. i thought timbre matching problem is not a big deal when it comes to surround? i fell in love with the m2ti's looks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The M2 has a titanium tweeter, but it MAY not match well with the M50s, which have aluminum tweeters.

Axiom has a 30 day return policy (you pay shipping), but I would give them a shot, especially for the price. The M3s are very good also, and would be my choice over the M2.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member

Not quite rosewood, but very close IMO. I'd really recommend that you don't go below the M3 model, becuase the M2/M1 have a hybrid tweeter (not the pure titanium of the higher models).
You can get them from the Factory Outlet (barely blemished/acoustically perfect) for under $250: http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html#

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I use Polk's in conjunction with my Boston's but I have the CR series. They do match fairly well though.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
You should be able to find Polk's RTi25s for that price.

Check out this review:
It [the Polk Audio RT25i] is far superior to any speaker I've heard for less than $500/pair, and has become my favorite speaker for under $1000/pair... I've never been more impressed by an inexpensive loudspeaker.
Stereophile Review of RTi25
you can get them from crutchfield for $200
Link
And likely cheaper some place else.
I own 4 of these, and they are still used in my bedroom system, you'd be hard pressed to find a better speaker for $200. But as always personal preference applies :)
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having heard the RT15i, RT25i, RT35i, Atoms, Titans, Mini Monitors, Infinity IL10 and the M3Ti, I would choose the M3Ti over all of them for performance vs price.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most likely, I would say no less than the VP100 for the M3s, OR Axiom also sells single M3s....:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops sorry, thought you meant rear center channel (their smaller center is a VP50, sounded similar). No, with proper calibration, you should not have to worry about the M3s overpowering anything.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
john garcia, i took a look on axiom's website. the size of m3ti is about 33 cm tall. dang that is bigger than my baby's head. i was convinced with your suggestion, but i think the size is tooooo big. with the backport, i dont know how to position it in my living room. i dont want to buy speaker stand. overpriced things.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Go with a 3rd monitor over their center channels if at all possible. You'll have much better integration.

Brian

EricE

Agent
John Garcia,

I've heard the Polks and Infinitys as well and found the Infinitys to have harsh and fatiguing highs. The Polks and all the other speakers I've heard didn't have any problems in this area for me. Since you've heard the Axioms as well, do you think their highs were at all harsh like the Infinitys?

Marc H

Second Unit
Felix,
I could ask Axiom to make a pair of M2TiSe with the better, pure titanium tweeter as a special order.
Also, there's always those Dahlquist QX4 I mentioned to you as well in another thread. The have a better tweeter match with the Boston, are a sealed box design, are pre-threaded for a wall bracket and are available in a light cherry finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks