What's new

Looking for bedroom tv, need some quick recommendations... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, current TV is an old 19" Sharp model with no inputs other than coax. Wife agreed that we need a dvd in the bedroom, so it's time for a new tv too:) I'm not looking for indepth reviews (unless you've got some time to kill), just looking for some brands/makes/models to start the search.
Viewing distance is roughly 7', and the tv will sit on a stand 40" high. Desired screen size range is 20-27", with 24" being the most likely. Component inputs a must. I currently have a Wega in the main HT, and really like the flat screen. Are flat screens useful on smaller TV's? Price should be $500 or less.
This could eventually evolve into a mini-HT with a basic receiver and bookshelf speaker system--haven't told the wife that part though;) For now, it will just be a DVD and VCR.
thanks!
Kevin

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I currently have the 27" Samsung Dynaflat set and it's great. It has plenty of inputs(including component) and a user selectable 16x9 squeeze mode.I've had no problems with my set and the geometry is near perfect. They make the same set in a 20" and it includes the same feature set. I think it's the only 20" with both component inputs and a user selectable 16x9 squeeze mode.
The 27" goes for around $450 and the 20" is around $300. Here are links to the info on each set.
the 20"
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28
and the 27"
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just asked this about a week ago:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=59266
I went and bought the toshiba mentioned in that thread. They have a 24" one also. Its got component inputs. Currently I'm just using a playstation 2 to play dvd's on it with an svideo connection until I get a new dedicated dvd player for my bedroom. It is VERY sharp. I love it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My bedroom set is a three-year-old Toshiba CZ27V51, with component video inputs, and is currently being fed signals by a Toshiba SD-2800 player. The colorimetry of this set is marvelous, and in the service menu-accessible "squeeze mode," its picture is sometimes better than the WEGA in my main theater.

So, consider the set's current equivalent: the 27A41.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not so far, Mike--but I've only had the thing for a few days. Picture looks good through both S-Video and component video. Decent little machine, and a great choice for a bedroom system. One thing, though: Upon first playing a disc, the whirring of the motor is a tad noticeable, but it quietens down after about five minutes or so. Operationally, the player is idiot-proof--but the handset is not up to Tosh's usual ergonomic standards (too small, buttons laid out illogically, etc.).

I take it you have a 2800?

Roy H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike, I have the Tosh 2800 in my bedroom and the Tosh 20AF41. I am one of the people that responded to your thread on which TV would be good for the bedroom. The 2800 is a great match for the 20AF41. The PQ via the component inputs is very good to say the least. I got my 2800 at Best Buy for $149.00 but I think you can find it even cheaper if you shop around. Toshiba finally made a nice thin looking unit this time. Nice sharp image great color and pitch blacks. I have had mine for a few weeks now and so far I've had no problems at all. It does have a slight whine at start up as Jack mentioned, but is for the most part very quite during normal operation. Also you have all the functions on the face of the unit (even a zoom button) so you don't need the remote to fire it up.

Roy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks