looking for BASS

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by charles-alb, Nov 24, 2003.

1. charles-alb

charles-alb Auditioning

I currently have Rotel seperates driving custom focal mains. they consist of two seperate boxes. top box mids/highs. and bottom box sub. top box connected to input on bottom box then out to the amp. their is a xover built in the sub box (i have no specs for it) since I have these speakers and currently do NOT have a dedicated sub I was looking for some advise.
    would it be worth it to buy a 2 channel amp and connect my bottom speakers (subs) to it and connect it to the LFE channel and leave the top box as my L/R speakers?
    Would I get much of an improvement?
    I was also looking to purchase a dedicated sub (velodyne DD15) but maybe with some help I can build one for much cheaper with equal or better sound. any suggestions would be appreciated. price is not much of a factor, I just want crazy BASS!!!
    how many subs typically do you have in a HT system?

Thnaks,
    Charles

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

You can have as many subs as you want or as your budget will allow (depending on how you look at the world). Right now, designs using the Adire Audio Tumult driver are probably among the best out there (and if you own mains with Focal drivers you can probably afford the Tumult's price tag (don't worry, it's under $500) and 1000W plate amps to drive the Tumult are also available.

3. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

tell us your budget and we can get to suggesting...

4. charles-alb

charles-alb Auditioning

I figure around a grand should do it. I would use it for HT and music.

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

For right around a grand you can get the Adire Audio Tumult, a PE 1000W amp and have enough left over to build the box. I would suggest a sealed box for a first project. Check out the designs on Adire's website if you are interested. The amp is here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=124775&DID=7

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

make sure you build the box really thick and use a lot of bracing for that many watts. The Tumult is a real beast, and you need to have an enclosure that an elephant could tap-dance upon in order to keep the output clean and efficient.