Looking for bargain Monoblock or stereo amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by erikk, Jan 31, 2002.

1. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

OK I currently have a KM-Z1 6 channel 125 wpc amp and I am running a 7.1 setup. Obviously, you can all see the problem. Right now I am leaving one channel on the KM-Z1 idle and running my rear rears off an old Sony receiver I had lying around.

Thats just not cutting it anymore. The main problem is that it has the cheap tension mounts for speaker wire and I can't fit any decent gauge wire in there. I just went for high end speaker wire with banana terminators and there is no way for me to use them with it. Also I don't think it has enough juice to keep up with the KM-Z1.

So anyway, I am now in the market for a very inexpensive monoblock for my center or stereo amp for my mains. My requirements are 125 wpc or more and must accept banana plugs for speaker wire. I'd like to avoid a fan if possible. And I'd like to keep the budget as low as possible without buying a piece of junk (hopefully under $300 MAX). Price is my main consideration with quality being a close second. I'd rather get a stereo amp for my mains but I can't seem to find any good ones in the price range.

I was interested in the Marantz MA500 at just under $200 but I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. I have found a MA6100 at $238 which seems to be my best choice so far (besides waiting for an ebay special). If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

nOrh monoblocks @ $500pr. although rated 100watts/8ohms, or

Parasound MB's at about the same price if you can still find them. Rated 125/8ohms.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater rated the Sherbourn 1/300MB monoblocks quite highly. 200 watts per channel with a choice of on-board XLR balanced or unbalanced RCA input.

Retails for $650, but I'm sure you can find them for less and they are well built.

Dan

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Everyone I know that owns the PAO-S1 says they sound pretty good. They are off my list since they don't come in black.

7. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

Erik, IMHO the marantz MA6100s are a great monoblock for the money. I believe the MA500s are still a Stereophile recommended component. The 6100s are the same with a few minor improvements such as output stages etc., plus the 500s are officially discontinued and are hard to find as you've seen. I have three that I used to drive my M&K 750 LCR speakers with. I've since bought a Bryston 4B for the mains(now M&K S150s) and moved the 6100s to the center and surrounds. They are THX certified which means nothing to some, but it does mean they can handle difficult loads. Mike Knapp over at HTT uses 5 for his HT setup for a long time and can probably give you his thoughts as well. For the money, they are hard to beat period, but they are great seperate amplification for the center and surrounds. I highly recomment them. Now..... where are my CS+s? [​IMG] jk
    Kevin Hunt