What's new

looking for AV receiver with preout/main in and .... (1 Viewer)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
I'm looking for a HT receiver which has preouts and main in for all channels. I've found some only have direct inputs, what is this exactly? Is it a digital input that will then go to a DAC then preamp and power amps?

This gives me the flexibility to insert EQ into all channels as well as use active crossovers without having to come up with so many extra power amps.

Also looking for:

*4 ohm stable
*reasonable budget

The only amp I have found so far is the NAD T743 and T753, the former having main in only for the front 3 channels.

Denon seem to have no preouts and only handle 6 ohms.

Marantz have pre outs but don't seem to have any with main in (that I have seen).

Harmon Kardon only have this feature with their very expensive models.

Yamaha only seem to have preouts, and that is on their more expensive models. I downloaded some manuals in PDF format, but they won't open :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

For recent receivers, you're likely to only find it on the expensive models.

The Marantz 9300 is the only one with main in. 6 Ohm min. recommended though. Originally $3K, you can pick one up for around $1500 now.

Why would you want/need to EQ surrounds though?

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
EQ to get them flat or course ;)

I would be using surrounds with a monopole midbass and dipole full rangers on the sides probably (diy) and the use of active filters / xo and eq lets me control the power response.

I don't want to be limited in exploring these options by an amp that doesn't let you get inbetween the pre and power amps. It's VERY expensive to get high power AV receivers, but adding on power amps isn't so expensive.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They're just surrounds, so they aren't playing much info; even with most m/c hires audio, so I don't see the benefit of EQing them (thus NAD only doing the front 3). I mean, they are only playing less than 20% of the total sound and using bi/dipoles, you are getting diffused sound anyway. I suppose I understand what you are trying to do, but why isn't so clear.

Nice speakers btw. My speakers are all kit speakers as well, though I picked them up built already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks