Looking for audio equipment advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

A friend of mine convinced me to get a higher-end audio system rather than getting a budget system for now and then upgrading (arguing that I will regret it later). I've come to the decision that he was probably right. So, I've decided to take the plunge. Over the next couple months (since I don't have the necessary cash lying around and I have to do it paycheck-paycheck), I will be buying the equipment necessary for my audio system (speakers, subwoofer, and receiver). I want to spend at least $2,000.00 but can go over a little bit if it means getting much better quality audio.
    What are some suggestions that you guys can give me on which equipment brands/models/combos I should listen to or buy? And no, I don't want to get Bose. [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

NHT SuperOnes, $100 x 5

HK AVR220 $400 - $500

SV 25-31PC $600

Just about the same as my system, and I love it.

Good luck

- CM

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Listen and buy; find a nice a/v dealer for auditions.

All the while, keep these brand names in mind:

Receiver: Denon, Onkyo, Harman/Kardon, Integra, Outlaw, Yamaha

Speakers: Paradigm, Klipsch, JBL, Polk, NHT, PSB, B&W, Swans (AV123.com), Norh

Subwoofer: Adire (small company), SVS (online only, but no doubt the best), Velodyne, Paradigm

Also, read reviews in order to gain knowledge about certain models' reputations.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Gee Colin, he’s a first timer – give him a break. You think he has any idea what you’re talking about?

Brian,

About the gear he recommended: The NHT is main speakers, the HK is a receiver (Harmon-Kardon brand), the SV is a sub.

Good Luck,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Brian Harnish

Hehehe. Thanks, Wayne. [​IMG]
    I auditioned some receivers at Ken Cranes today. The ones I listened to included Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX receiver as it was the best receiver I heard there at $999.99. Now all I gotta do is figure out the speakers I want to get. Couldn't really do much of a demo on speakers as Ken Cranes only had about 15-25 B&W speakers to choose from.
    I'll keep everyone updated as to what I ultimately decide to purchase for my speakers and subwoofer. [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Your friend is giving you bad advice. You clearly are not in a financial position to spend $2000 on audio equipment. $500 will do the job very nicely. As good as $2000? No, but not as far off as you may think.

8. Brian Harnish

Wayne- That's what happens when you spend $100-$150 every two weeks on DVDs. BTW, I already have a really nice TV -- the Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. So all I need now is the audio system and I'll be all set. [​IMG]
    Norm- I guess a Tax refund won't do the job in helping me get my audio system? Of course, I'm going to use $500.00 to pay off some bad debt (and then I'll be debt-free). It will only take me a month or two after that (at the most) to save up the rest for my audio system. I always have anywhere from $150 - $200 to spend on myself after paying bills and other obligatory expenses (e.g. food and gas). Don't think it's not possible. [​IMG]

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i am personally a big fan of B&W speakers, given that i absolutely love music. they are teriffic speakers for music and will serve you well in the HT world.

as a sub, stick to SVS for all your subwoofer needs. it's very musical and is even better for movies.

10. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

If you're willing to buy one piece of your system at a time then buying "higher-end" stuff isn't a bad idea. The problem is, though, that if HT becomes a hobby you will *always* be upgrading, no matter how nice your stuff is [​IMG]
    If you'd rather find a less expensive system so that you can immediately enjoy the 5.1 experience, the good news is that due to the emergence of eBay and forums like this one it is easier than ever to sell your used equipment when you upgrade.
    --Steve

11. Brian Harnish