Looking for attractive CD storage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Wesley, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Hello there!
    I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.
    Recently I got married and now have the joys of merging two CD collections together in our apartment. We each have something similar to this CD spinner that holds about 200 CD's a piece (7.25 X 11.25 X 11.25). Anyway, with about 400+ CD's to store, I was looking for something a little better to put all our CD's together in one place, yet not look like a radio station wall of discs [​IMG]
    Specifically, I was looking for a couple suggestions on products that you have found helpful for your CD storage. I'd preferably like to keep my CD's horizontal so you can read the edges without turning my head sideways, and individual slots for each disc are a must. I'm looking for something that will hold at least 400, something standalone (though wall mounted would be nice as well).
    Anyone have suggestions for something in this area?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Arthur W

Arthur W Auditioning

Individual slots for each CD? I guess you don't alphabetize your CDs. If you do, how the heck do you insert the latest CD from an artist starting with "H" with out spending the next 30 minutes removing each CD from its slot and positioning it into its new slot. That would drive me nuts. Tell me you dont alphabatize your CDs. Please. . .
    Anyway, the nicest CD organizers i have seen are from Ikea. Its probably not what you are looking for since there are no individual slots, and your CDs would be vertical not horizonal. But they are a really nice wall flush mount shelves. Each holds like 290 CD's so you would need a couple of them. Might get expensive at $100 a pop. Anyway, again, probably not what you want, but I like em. Check em out at:
    http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...ART&id=442,468
    If that link does not work just go to ikea.com and find them that way.
    just my .02

3. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

I was also having a problem with CD storage taking over. Then I bought a CD Mega changer. All the CD's are in the player, The liner notes are in clear vinyl sleeves in a binder. Never have to touch the disk again and they are much easier to find then trying to read the tiny edge print. Just a thought.
    [​IMG]

4. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

I have something like I think you are looking for. There is a pic on my website which you can get to by following the link in my sig.

It stores CD horizontally and there is a slot for each CD, with a couple double sized slots in case you need them. YOu can buy the towers and the add on sections and arrange them any way you please. I used to have the in a "M" formation, but now I just have 2 towers next to each other and made a "Y" like formation to save a little on space.

They are from Atlantic Inc. I bought them a while ago so I'm not sure if they still sell it or not. For the 2 towers and 4 expansion units it holds about 240 Cds (25 each for the expansion and around 70 each for the towers) so you'll need a few more than I have. If I remember correctly, I paid around 150 for the whole thing. They are metal with scrach resistant black coating.

And yes....I keep my CDs in ABC order, and yes, you have to move everyone when you get a new Cd, and yes....it IS a pain in the butt! LOL

5. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Scott and others... thanks for the tips. Very helpful as I try to find a solution. And yes, I so alphabetize my collection as well... hard to maintain, but helpful when keeping track of titles.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]
    - Steve