Looking for an HDTV receiver...completely lost!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Ferreira, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Joe Ferreira

Joe Ferreira Stunt Coordinator

I just got my first HDTV today. It's a Samsung 32" (not much, but I love it). So I was hooking up my RP-82 DVD player using the component inputs and got to thinking: isn't this the way that you hook up an HDTV receiver? Problem is this TV only has one set of component inputs. So anyways, I have cable TV but would like to pick up some of the HD signals coming through the area here in Oklahoma City. What exactly do I need? How do I go about hooking everything up? I still want squeeze on my progressive scan player. What kind of prices am I looking at? Thanks in advance!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

What kind of receiver or pre/pro do you have? Most of the fairly new ones above a certain price point will have component switching capability. Or if that's not an option, there are component switchers available(locally or online). Just make sure it can handle HD bandwidth(30-40 MHz, I think?).

DJ

3. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

You don't need to hook up your HDTV receiver with analog output's. Hook it to your TV through the DVI. Look at the Samsung T-151 and T-165's.

4. Joe Ferreira

Thanks for the info. My TV doesn't have DVI input. My Onkyo TX-SR500 doesn't switch component. Maybe I should sell it on eBay and pick up the SR600? How much do the component switches cost?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

6. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

You didn't mention which Samsung TV you got, does it have a VGA input? Some STBs still output VGA, so you could look into that.

VGA, the forgotten input.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

You do not need to purchase a component switcher to pass a component signal.

Let me repeat that, you do not need to purchase a component switcher to pass a component signal.

You can buy a cheap composite $14-20 A/V Switcher from RadioShack or Wal-mart (Usually the kind in the Video Game section) and it will pass 1080i HD material. No loss in HD quality.

The bad side is that these are manual switches and you will have to get up when you switch the signal. However, if you leave it on the HD Tuner all the time, you can then make the manual switch when you get up to pop in the DVD anyway.

If you'd like a manual switch with Toslink (optical) digital audio, these can be had for around $39-49 from Radioshack.

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Chris,

They are mechanical switches and as such should have no problem with bandwidth.

The Denon 3803 receiver achieves 100mhz component video switching bandwidth because it's a mechanical switch activated by solenoids.

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

12. Joe Ferreira

Sweet, that switch sounds like it would do the trick until I get a new receiver.

Now, about the HDTV receiver itself...What exactly can I expect? I am in Oklahoma City (not that you would know what we have here) and I have cable (Cox). Are there hidden HD signals in the cable, or will I need to use an antenna. Also, how much do they start at and what are the differences between the entry level and higher-end receivers? And how do the channels work. Thanks for informing a newbie. Joe

13. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Joe, for Oklahoma City, OK, the Over the Air digital channels you should be able to receive via an antenna are the following:

KOCO-DT 7 ABC
    KTBO-DT 15 TBN
    KOKH-DT 24 FOX
    KFOR-DT 27 NBC
    KQOK-DT 29 IND
    KETA-DT 32 PBS
    KOCB-DT 33 WB
    KWTV-DT 39 CBS* (Awaiting FCC Permit)
    KOPX-DT 50 PAX

I obviously can't verify these, but you can do a search on http://www.antennaweb.org for your local channels.

You can also choose to get Dish or DirecTV for HD channels like HBO HD, Showtime HD, HDNet (DirecTV), Discovery HD (Dish), etc.

You can check http://www.titantv.com for the daily offerings of HD content available.