1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for an Equivelant player to the RP91 that has a carousel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Br, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

I think the subest says it all. The RP91 seems to be the best bang for your buck player at the moment (please correct me if im wrong). I will be doubling my new DVD player as a CD player as well, so a 5 disc carousel is a must.
    Thanks

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The new Denon DVM-4800 will probably fit the bill.
    5 disc carousel, Genesis chip with 4x3 reformat option, like the RP-91, Denon's excellent DACs and AL24 processing for CDs. Should be great. I think it arrives in the fall.
    So long as they don't pull a "DVD-2800"...
    $1200 retail, though.
    Todd

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, how about the Pioneer Elite DV-C36? It's a progressive scan carousel DVD changer that isn't too expensive ($500-600, I believe). I'm not sure if it does 3:2 pulldown, but you might look into it. Now, the 'C36 lacks DVD-Audio capability, which the Panasonic DVD-RP91 offers, but you didn't list that as a necessity, despite your bang-for-the-buck comment with respect to the 'RP91.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

My suggestion is to wait a month. There is a whole crop of new progressive DVD players coming out. The new Kenwood line looks pretty promising.

5. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

quote: Quote from: Keith,
    "Mark, how about the Pioneer Elite DV-C36? It's a progressive scan carousel DVD changer that isn't too expensive($500-600, I believe). I'm not sure if it does 3:2 pulldown, but you might look into it. Now, the 'C36 lacks DVD-Audiocapability, which the Panasonic DVD-RP91 offers, but you didn't list that as a necessity, despite your bang-for-the-buck comment with respect to the 'RP91." [/quote]
    FYI, I believe the Pioneer DV-C36 is a carousel version of the DV-434. Neither does any type of 3-2 pulldown detection.
    [Edited last by Darryl_B on August 13, 2001 at 07:09 PM]

6. Jerrich

Jerrich Auditioning

I had a Harman Kardon DVD50 carousel and liked it except for some glitches. I had to return it. Their first fix, didn't. They are now coming out with fix #2 that MAY do it. The video was right up there with the Panny 91, which I now own. There is a separate forum for Harmon on the hometheaterspot.com if you want to keep track of the progress. JR

7. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I'm really bummed about the cancellation of the Panasonic RP-C71 (did I get the number right?) That, for me, was going to be "the one", even if it was equivalent to the 61 instead of the 91.
    I'm very interested in the new Kenwood players, though they seem pretty expensive. Does Phillips have a carousel player coming with the Sage/Faroudja chips, or are they sticking with just the single-disk player?

8. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

The Kenwoods may not be as expensive as they seem. CrazyEddie's has the Kenwood 5900M 400 + 3 unit that MSRP's at $1500 for $1039.
    DV-5900M (MSRP $1500)
    Three-disc Rental Zone™, Faroudja video processing, progressive scan video output, DVD-Audio capability, internal bass management, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA, and MP-3 encoded CD-Rs and -RWs, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, PC Link NetNamer automatic disc titling, RS-232 interface, dual side play, daisy-chain capability (up to 3 can be linked), infrared keyboard.
    Pre-order only - Available August 2001 - $1,039.95
    DV-5700M (MSRP $1000)
    5 disc player, DVD-Vs, DVD-As, CDs, WMAs, MP3-encoded CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Faroudja video processing and progressive-scan output,oversampling digital filters, noise shaping, 192kHz D/A converters, multi-channel analog audio outputs, two digital audio outputs, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, composite, S-video, and component video outputs. Full-function remote control standard.
    Pre-order only - Available August 2001 - $804.95
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".
    [Edited last by GregoriusM on August 13, 2001 at 11:20 PM]

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darryl, thanks for the info. I thought Pioneer would have included 3:2 pulldown in an Elite product. I guess that explains the low price of the 'C36 and why I rarely hear it mentioned here. That must mean that the Pioneer DV-C603 changer doesn't do 3:2 pulldown either.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

There's a new Marantz model on its way - just saw an ad for it.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor