Looking for an Equivelant player to the RP91 that has a carousel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Br, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

The RP91 seems to be the best bang for your buck player at the moment (please correct me if im wrong). I will be doubling my new DVD player as a CD player as well, so a 5 disc carousel is a must. Does Panasonic have any plans of releasing a carousel version of the RP91?

I've been without a DVD player for so long that I can stand to wait a little more, is there anything coming out in the near future that rivals the rp91 in features and price?

Thanks a bunch.

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

If Denon gets their act together, the 4800 may be what you are looking for. Its video performance is at least the equal of the RP-91, albeit it has a glitch when engaging the scaling feature. It is a solid player and has DVD-Audio with Bass Enhancementt. I only hope they fix that problem..if they would only address it.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I second Michael's suggestion of the Denon DVM-4800. The '4800 looks to be a great player on paper, so like Michael, I hope Denon rectifies the scaling problem. Denon has been promising a lot with its progressive-scan DVD players ('2800 and '4800), but hasn't quite delivered on its promises. I'm not trying to bash Denon, as I realize that many manufacturers have had problems with progressive-scan players. Anyway, the '4800 is definitely a player to keep up with.

Another player to consider is the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700. Like the Denon '4800, it typically sells for $1200. I haven't heard much about the quality of the Sovereign player, but it looks like a nice piece, and it has the much-lauded Faroudja deinterlacer. Although the Sovereign line is supposed to be much better than Kenwood's standard gear, it is a new line, so I don't know how good it is. I have no doubts that Sovereign gear will beat the standard Kenwood equipment, but I don't know how it stands up to Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz, etc.

4. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

Wow, at 1200 the Denon player is much more expensive then the RP91, considering that the 4800 is bugged, what are its advantages of features or quality over the RP91, besides the Carousel.

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

You might want to check out the JVC xx-xxx-90/92/95 models. 7 disc progressive changer with DVDA and other features that I don't recall right now. It's also cheaper than the RP91. I am unsure how these models compare with the RP91, except that I understand that the lower JVC models are generally comparable to the Panasonic RP56.

Dave

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I haven't studied the Denon '4800 and Panasonic 'RP91 in detail to know how they differ beyond the '4800 offering a carousel. The Denon offers HDCD, and you are going to pay more for a carousel changer with DVD-Audio since that combination is still pretty novel. Plus, you are paying for the Denon name.

7. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

Still looking for any info on an Equivelant player that comes with a Carousel, the Denon has been suggested but seems to be inferior to the RP91 (not to mention buggy) and comes at over double the price. This is not for an immediate purchase, so if anyone knows of a great product coming that has all these features, please let me know (the whol forum that is, I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for a RP91 equivelant player that supports a carousel).

Thanks

8. Han

Han Second Unit

No Mark,

You're not the only one. I'd also like to narrow my DVD / CD components down to a single one on my shelf. The Denon 4800 seemed to be th perfect player until those reports of the scaling problem. Panasonic had pretty much the same player in the RP-61 (without the 4MB buffer of the Denon) but decided to not release it.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

Is there any word of this bug being corrected? and any news of new equipemtn coming that might have all these features + a carousel?

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I won't be buying a progressive DVD player right now, but when I do, a 5 disc version of the RP-91 is exactly what I would want. Right now, the Panasonic DVD CV51 is doing duty as an interlaced DVD changer until progressive DVD players get their act together. Until I see something like the RP-91 in a 5 disc carousel, with the performance closer to that of the best "bug-free' players, I won't even be bothered. Don't get me wrong, the 91 seems to be very good, but for the money, I want less bugs in the shootout results. Plus, until then I won't be using an HDTV yet anyways, because they are a little out of my budget. So while I go without an HDTV display, I'll wait for further improvement of the progressive DVD players [​IMG]

12. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Why not just get the RP-91 and a cheap Sony 5-disc or something like that? Are you really that cramped for space? Or is it a simplicity issue? A univeral remote should take care of that.