Looking for an A/V amp with a specific feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevan_F, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Kevan_F

Kevan_F Auditioning

Right now I have a Yammha RXV795, which I like but I'm in search of a new amp with a much desired feature. Problem is I have no idea what this feature would be called or how to search for it.

I use my amp for home theater and general listening and have a set of outside speakers wired to the the B channel. The amp I'm looking for would automatically shut off the center channel and rear speakers and turn all effects off when I just have the B channel speakers on.

Does an amp with this feature exist? Is there a name for this feature.

Hope you guys can help.

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Are you looking to replace your current receiver or just add a very smart amplifier? I don't believe such a stand alone amp exists.

Assuming you are looking to replace your receiver I don't know of many quality receivers that even have a B channel anymore. A receiver with multi-zone capability might be what you are looking for. I have an Onkyo 898 but I believe multi-room features are available on many lower priced units. This would allow you to run your outside speakers independently from your HT setup. You would even be able to listen to a different source.

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks,

Jeff

3. Kevan_F

Kevan_F Auditioning

Thanks Jeff:

I basically just want to turn on my outside speakers without having any of my inside speakers on in the fewest steps possible so I guess multi-room capability is what I'm looking for, now at least I know what to call it.

Anybody have any suggestions for good multi-room amps that are decent home theater amps as well?

Thanks

Kevan

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kevan, 7 or 8 years ago, there were several recievers that did pretty much what you were talking about. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a reciever that has a stereo output for a second zone. You won't have to buy the most expensive models to get this, but you won't get it on the budjet models. You may have to buy a power amp to music-ate the outdoor zone though. If it comes to that try an Audiosource Amp 1 or Amp 2. They're both 80 watts a channel and they have volume attenuators so you could control the second zone seperately. They're not too expensive either, $250 or less.
    Sorry, I don't have any specific reciever suggestions. The only reciever I've looked at lately is the Elite 49 today and only out of curiosity. I'm not in the market....My Marantz AV9000 pre has a 2nd zone output, which I don't presently use. It's not a rare feature, but the norm has become that you must add amps for zone 2. Best wishes!

5. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Just program a macro - one button will then do it all.

6. Kevan_F

Kevan_F Auditioning

Good Suggestion Rick!
    I'll have to add to my list "Why my wife should by me a Pronto for Christmas". [​IMG]
    Kevan