Looking for amplifier advise

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidVT, Sep 10, 2003.

1. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Am considering a seperate amp to go along with my Elite 45TX/SVS and Klipsch RF3II 7.2 set up.

Looking for 7 channels and from 150-200 watts per channel.

Amps price need to be below 2K.

Thanks for the assistance

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, a lot of people, myself included, like the sound of Parasound amps (I use the 1205A) with Klipsch reference speakers. I've heard Rotel amps work well also.

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

the anthem 7 channel amp gets rave reviews and is well within your price range...

the outlaw 750 got incredible reviews, I havent seen many on the 770, but that is also in your price range and has more power than the anthem...

Rich

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

How much power does that 45TX pump out? If it is 100 w/ch or thereabouts, you'll probably only see a minor improvement with a 150-200 watt amp. It wouldn't hurt, but for $2K there might be better investments...

EDIT: That being said, the Outlaw 770 would fit very nicely into your proposed specs and budget. 200 w/ch 7 channels and ~$1500.

5. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Sherbourn 7/2100... Outlaw..

6. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Anthem doesnt make 7 channel amp in 150-200 range..

7. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I bought a new Cinenova Grande 3 on EBay for $1099 shipped. Same seller has Grande 5 for $2099 shipped. You could use your 45tx for rears...

8. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Not only that, but the 45TX might not put out a true 100 watts for each of the 7 channels as it claims. The 45TX has been known to shut itself off when driven too hard. Besides, even if a seperate amp was only 100 or 150 watts per channel, as compared to a receiver's 100 watts per channel, it may still sound very different due to it's circuitry and power supplies, even if only providing a few dB increase in volume.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

John and Nick,

I agree with what you guys are saying, but I want to temper that by saying there is also a chance he will hear no difference at all with a new amp and that the 45TX is providing good power [​IMG] For $2K and sale of a 45TX, you can almost buy a 49TXi, which not only bumps up his power but also provides a very high end amount of processing goodies. I know of some folks that like the 49TXi better than separates (don't know, it's out of my $ range anyway.)

BTW - I actaully went the same way David. I bought an outlaw 750 to boost the power from an HK 520. Didn't notice much difference (some, but not much.) Noticed a heck of a lot more when I switched to an Oulaw 950 for the pre/pro. I love the separates, but from what I hear high quality receivers (like the 49TXi) have effectively closed the gap in sound. Don't know, just want David to have all the info before he spends $2K.

I highly suggest Outlaw's 30 day trial with an amp to see for yourself in your own system David, that's the only way to know for sure.