Looking For Amp With Defeatable Crossover

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JulianS, Jan 1, 2004.

1. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

Hi, im looking to build a mid-q(0.707) sealed tempest, and am looking for a suitable amp. Is the ava250 (270w into 4 ohms) enough power for it? the reason Im looking at the ava250 is because it has a defeatable crossover, something i want [​IMG]

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I also built a mid Q 0.695 sealed tempest with the AVA250. It sounded great for music but I wanted more low end for movies so I built the EBS alignment. The 250W is plenty IMO. I pushed it hard when sealed and it was never strained. Try looking at the Rythmik amps if you want more power for a large room.

3. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

ok cool, also besides the slight loss in xmax, will downfiring make any difference in sound vs front firing? (i thought it might change the way the sound is dispersed in the room [​IMG] )

4. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Julian,

I've built a sealed downfiring Tempest "mid-Q" design right off the Adire site with an AVA 250. I've used it in a home theatre system in a very large large, vaulted room, where it's awsome. The AVA 250 has more than enough power for my taste.

I've also used it in a two-channel tube music system with an external (Marchand XM-9) crossover -- the defeatable crossover is a nice feature -- where it's subtle and very musical. Believe me, you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

5. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

thanks bob[​IMG]