Looking for all region DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Fig, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Matt Fig

Matt Fig Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    Getting ready to upgrade my Home Theater and I want to buy a new DVD player that will play all regions and codes. I would like to stay around $500.00. So if you can help me out with some suggestions I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Matt,
    A few of the HTF members including myself have had great success with the Malata. I think the latest model is the 996.... Do a search of Malata, and you find a few threads on where you can buy..... It's a decent player, and plays everything.... VCD, SVCD, MP3, CDR,CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, as well as it's the best player at doing PAL to NTSC converstion....
    Below is where I bought mine from....
    http://www.nbtelectronics.com
    Good Luck,

3. Matt Fig

Thanks Steve. I am assuming that the Malata is not your main player (by the looks of your HT set up). Thanks again.

4. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    NO, It's serves now as a backup player in my bedroom setup where I'm viewing in 480i. I recently purchased the Panasonic DRM-E30 DVD Recorder which I use for primary playback. Malata is used strictly for Reg free and SVCD playback....

5. Matt Fig

Right now I am using a Panasonic DVD-A110. At the time is was one of the better models on the market. Do you recommend Panasonics as well?

6. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The RP-82 is not all region. Perhaps it can be modified, but out-of-the-box it's definitely region 1.

8. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

My mistake,I thought I read somewhere it was.[​IMG]

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

You can get it modded for all-region. Chip is like 85 bucks or so (have to solder it).

I've got a JVC multiregion - works pretty well, but I am thinking of selling it if interested.

10. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

My understanding is that the Panasonics can be easily modded to all-region, and several websites offer them this way ready to go. They are excellent players for the $$, don't have the dreaded chroma bug, have superior de-interlacing and p-scan through the Sage-Faroudja chip, plus they have an excellent MPEG decoder. I have the Panasonic RP56, and it's a very good player.

However, keep in mind the Pannys *don't* do PAL to NTSC conversion - unless all your non-region 1 DVD are NTSC (and few of mine are, most of mine are Region 2 UK or Europe), you still can't view the discs on a non-PAL capable display. Since I don't have a TV that can display PAL, I need a player that can convert. You may need this too. (FPs, Loewe, Princeton Graphics, plasma, DLP and other sets are PAL capable. Most direct views and RPs are not.)

Unless the new Philips 963SA converts (and early reports indicate they do), there are no Sage-Faroudja chip based players than *convert*. The Malata and JVC are based on Mediamatic ships.

The Philips might break new ground in this regard. It can also be hacked to mutli-region from a remote or Palm.

Also, I believe Malata is going to be coming out with a new player shortly. The current Malata seems to be buggy and consumers generally prefer the earlier model.