What's new

Looking for affordable receiver with up-conversion (1 Viewer)

David.T

Auditioning
I have a 42" Plasma set being shipped. Presently I have an old Denon Pro-logic receiver. I am looking for a receiver that has video up-conversion built in for composite inputs to output to component along with other inputs. I live in an apartment so I don't need anything fancy. I want to spend around the $200 mark. I found the Denon AVR-1705 which supports what I am looking for @ $222.50 but it is silver which does not go with my black setup. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 1705 is probably your best bet in that price range.

Ever seen the upconversion stuff from AVR's? I tried it recently, and from my experience, I choose direct connection...

It will be interesting to see if anybody is actually using it, if they post up in this thread.

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Pio 1014 and upconversion changes the quality of the source. I only have an SDTV and when I watch DTV via up-converted component, the picture quality is darkened and softened, so I run a direct video to my TV. You could use the AVR as a switcher for multiple devices.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I also use direct connections for the same reasons cited by John. Can anyone say whether using the switching functions (not upconversion) generaly result in the same degredation of quality? When HD DVD finally comes home, I will need to use this as I only have two component inputs on the TV, and will have three component sources...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Switching is generally fine, but does vary from equipment to equipment. I generally switch HD on anything with a 50mhz switching rating without any issues whatsoever.

I mean even the lowly Onkyo sr501/502's, and it seems perfectly fine.

Upconversion is a different story though.

I would assume, most all AVR's at some point in the future are likely to contain true scalers and offer many more options on it all.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That would be worth a shot. Do you own one?

They say it has 7 channel direct input?? Is this Multi-channel input or is it a Poweramp in? I would assume it combines the two rear together for the 6th amp / channel?

I'm a little confused by this.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
John,

I don't own the RD-8601, although I am seriously considering it to replace my Cambridge Audio stereo integrated amp. About a year ago, I did purchase a Sherwood RD-6801 receiver and I was really impressed by its build quality. I later returned it simply because I was putting together a 2-channel system (hence the Cambridge Audio amp).

Regarding the 7 channel direct input....those are the analog bypass inputs for connecting a SACD/DVD-A player.

David.T

Auditioning
Great find on the Sherwood RD-8601! I am not familiar with the Sherwood brand. Is it reputable at all?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Sherwood has been around for decades and is currently one of the biggest OEM for AV components on the planet (see threads on Boston Acoustics pre/pro and Outlaw 990 pre/pro).

Sherwood's market director, Jeff Hipps, is a regular contributor on this forum. You can do a search using his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks