Looking for advice: Using a paint sprayer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Jergerian, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Jeff_Jergerian

Jeff_Jergerian Auditioning

Hello--

I am painting my HT room this weekend. It is fresh drywall, and I'll be painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. The floors are still concrete (carpet goes in next week), and the ceiling is spray textured. I'm thinking that with nothing to screw up, I can spray like crazy without worrying about getting paint where I don't want it. I'm looking for any possible tips or techniques that I should know to properly use a paint sprayer, which I will be renting from Home Depot. I'm thinking that I'll put up primer first, which will allow me to get some practice with the sprayer. I'll then move on to my main wall/ceiling color, which is a grayish taupe color.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

jj

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

You're fortunate to be able to spray. I sprayed all but the final wall color coat in my theater (I kept the ceiling white). It is super-fast and gives a great finish. What are you going to do about doors and door jambs? Despite what the sprayer instructions say, you might need to thin the paint a little (up to about 15%) because some latex paints are really thick straight out of the can. Experiment a little with the sprayer pressure (I assume its airless --my commercial version has adjustable pressure). On a textured ceiling, you need to be careful what angle the paint is hitting the surface or the texture will leave "shadows". Either spray perfectly perpendicular or make multiple passes at different angles. There's really not much to go wrong --just don't spray the walls so thick that it runs! Wear a painter's mask, safety glasses, and a hat. When spraying the ceiling, you'll have paint mist all over you!

Good luck.