What's new

Looking for Advice on Ripping my CD Collection (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'm now up to 9220 FLAC tracks from 600 albums and 164 artists. I have used up 180GB of my 1TB SSD drive.

The number of "artists" has actually decreased as I have reclassified several into genre specific areas. For example, I probably fed about 100 theater-related discs into the B2...but I have the artist on each of them listed as "Broadway." So that only accounts for one artist for all those discs.

So while a pop/rock track might be listed (Artist/Album/Track):

Steely Dan>Aja>Peg

for my theater cast recordings it will likely be more like:

Broadway>Oklahoma (Original Broadway Cast)>The Surrey with the Fringe on Top

I'm doing the same formatting with my film soundtrack CDs.

This classification business is the most vexing of the process. After each batch of discs I enter, I am taking the time to enter all the info for those discs which do not appear in the database as well as try to organize the discs into genres and playlists as successfully as possible. I hope I'm doing it in a way that makes me happy when all is said and done.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Does anyone know if there are easy ways to batch convert flac files to mp3s?

I'm surprised Abobe Media Encoder doesn't do this. It doesn't recognize flac files at all.

In VLC:

- go to Media -> Open Multiple Files
- drag and drop your *.flac files into the "File Selection" box
- hit the arrow on the right side of the "Play" key (next to the "Cancel" key) and go down the menu to "Convert"
- in the convert box, change the "Settings" to Profile "Audio - MP3" by clicking on the right side with the arrow and go down the menu
- click on the "Start" key and it will convert all your *.flac files into corresponding *.mp3 files
Back on page 10 of this thread I asked about conversion of FLAC files to MP3s.

Based on jr's recommendation, I have been trying out the multi-file capabilities of VLC. It seems to work pretty good. I also tried using the NIH Suite's "Switch" program. I can't see why I would pay for the NIH program over the free VLC program.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a better way to convert FLAC to mp3? I've got an open mind! :D

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest because I'm in the same situation. I found myself listening to music less because of the hassle of finding the CDs I wanted in my collection. It's ordered alphabetically by artist but spread out over multiple locations in the house. I gave serious thought to a Brennan B2, but finally decided that the best solution for me is a Plex server running on a NAS. I got that set up this morning and have started the long process of ripping CDs to FLAC. It's going to take awhile.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest because I'm in the same situation. I found myself listening to music less because of the hassle of finding the CDs I wanted in my collection. It's ordered alphabetically by artist but spread out over multiple locations in the house. I gave serious thought to a Brennan B2, but finally decided that the best solution for me is a Plex server running on a NAS. I got that set up this morning and have started the long process of ripping CDs to FLAC. It's going to take awhile.
What method will you be using to rip your CDs?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Please keep reporting in to this thread, Maurice, on your progress.

I have hit a pretty typical snag on my progress--life! I have had to put this project on the back burner for a bit as I tend to some other things. It's too bad because I was really going gangbusters.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just be patient. When I ripped my 1400 title collection (around 2000 discs) it took almost 9 months to rip everything. I'd come in from work and rip stuff until I went to bed - every day, and all day on Saturdays with about a half day on Sundays. If I missed some time or days I didn't let it bother me as I knew it'd get done eventually. Now it's a very laid back affair as there's only the need to rip any new purchases and I take my time with them, sometimes letting 4 or 5 build up before I do them.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I got the letter A done. Had a couple of oddballs that required me to enter the data, but that was expected. Looking ahead, there sure are a lot of bands I like that start with B. I'll be working on those for awhile. Fortunately, I work from home and can generally flip to my personal computer throughout the day to take out one CD and start another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snaves