What's new

Looking for Advice on Ripping my CD Collection (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
For me the main downside is the slot loading disc player. I just don't like those but it's use is temporary so there's that. And it looks like "banana plugs" for the speaker connections. That's an interesting choice.
Thanks, Howie!

The Brennan people also encourage use of external CD drives for ripping. That seems really strange to me since "why wouldn't they just put the best drive they could find in the unit?" But here's their thinking. For those people (like me) who are going to be doing a TON of ripping because of a large collection--they say it takes a lot of strain off the internal player. Once the bulk of collection ripping is done, I'll be able to feel comfortable then using the internal B2 drive as I add to my collection.

They also say that an external optical drive--for some reason--rips much quicker than their internal drive.

From their site:

Using an External CD Drive​

You can rip CDs using an external USB CD/DVD drive. You just need to plug an external USB drive into USB C and use it as you would the internal drive.

There are a couple of reasons why you might do this.

1) You can rip more quickly with an external drive
2) If you plan to rip a lot of CDs it will save wear and tear on the internal drive

Again, I am left to wonder why they don't include a faster, sturdier optical drive in the unit (considering the price). But I haven't even gotten my hands on it yet!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Oh. And about the speaker plugs. I doubt I'll be using those as I plan to use the B2 as a "source" in my HT and just hook it directly up to my AVR via HDMI or optical connection.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks, Howie!

The Brennan people also encourage use of external CD drives for ripping. That seems really strange to me since "why wouldn't they just put the best drive they could find in the unit?" But here's their thinking. For those people (like me) who are going to be doing a TON of ripping because of a large collection--they say it takes a lot of strain off the internal player. Once the bulk of collection ripping is done, I'll be able to feel comfortable then using the internal B2 drive as I add to my collection.

They also say that an external optical drive--for some reason--rips much quicker than their internal drive.

From their site:

Again, I am left to wonder why they don't include a faster, sturdier optical drive in the unit (considering the price). But I haven't even gotten my hands on it yet!
That almost sounds like they expect the internal drive to fail if used for large collections. I'd like to see how they have the internal drive connected as it just sounds odd that a USB drive would be faster than an internal drive connected directly to the main board. Then, too, I've not looked at a Raspberry Pi closely enough to know if it's possible to connect such a drive directly. It might have some type of interface board that slows things down for things like ripping discs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
The Brennan B2 has arrived!

I have also received the 1TB SSD to transplant into it, the external CD drive to supplant the internal CD drive and the optical cable (toslink to minijack) needed to connect it to my AVR.

Time to get to work...

full

full

full
full

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What are the USB dongles?

The one with the small strip of red looks similar to what Logitec uses for wireless mouse/keyboard.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'm on a bit of a hold...

I went to install the 1TB SSD and the device wouldn't recognize it. I checked my connections several times...taking it apart and putting it back together 3 or 4 times...but no go. I've got no other way to check the drive so I figure it must've been DOA. I reinstalled the 240GB drive that came with the unit an it recognized it right away. Grrrrr.

I figured it would be the absolute easiest to upgrade the hard drive before I even began the ripping process. So I guess I'll wait the couple of days before the new drive arrives.

The drive which would NOT fire up was made by Crucial. The new drive I ordered is a Samsung.

Old drive:

full

New drive:

full

Oh well. I WAS able to get the Wi-fi hooked up and made sure the Bluetooth dongle works.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Could it be that you need to initialize the new drive before it can be recognized? If you purchased a raw drive that's likely the issue.

Looking at their site shows this may do the trick:

Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD

You might also be able to do it via external PC faster. It must be FAT32 format.

You'll need one of these (same or equivalent):
Amazon product
They're handy to have around for use with old drives. Also makes it easy to do backups to another drive without networking.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Looking at their site shows this may do the trick:

Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD

Thanks, Howie.

I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out a way to format the drive (figuring that was the case) and I searched Settings>Maintenance> more than a dozen times and there was NO sub-command to "Format HDD." It's like it wasn't there.

I had found that instruction but no way t implement it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks, Howie.

I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out a way to format the drive (figuring that was the case) and I searched Settings>Maintenance> more than a dozen times and there was NO sub-command to "Format HDD." It's like it wasn't there.

I had found that instruction but no way t implement it.
There was a blurb on their site in the area I found that command that also said something about not being able to swap the drive out of a "SD" model - whatever that means.

Found it - it's on this page:

---------------------------------------

Upgrade HDD.​

You cannot upgrade an SD B2. If you had a 500G B2 say then no problem about opening it up and swapping a bigger drive. You need to do Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD after if its not FAT32.
---------------------------------------

So... that's the internal SD memory card (which often has the OS on a Pie) and *not* the HD so I'd think you should be OK.

Did you check for an OS upgrade once you'd connected it to wifi?
Settings->Web Upgrade

It could be your box has an older OS that's missing that function.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Howie:

I really appreciate your interest in this! You da man.

Yes, the SD model has no hard drive and just an SD memory card. And they are clear that you cannot add a hard drive to those models.

So here's the thing, I just joined a Brennan Forum (Google Group) where they talk about these units and other Brennan gear.

Even though--and this aggravated me no end--there are a couple of online references at the Brennan site which you copied in your post:

You need to do Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD after if its not FAT32.

That is a lie. It is hidden in Settings>Maintenance>Advanced>Format HDD. Grrrrrr. The drive I got is probably perfectly fine. But since I've already gotten the return/replace process underway, I'm just going to let it play out. I confirmed the proper settings with the original 240GB drive installed. Super aggravating. Why not spell it out? One of the people who responded to my question said it's to avoid you using it by accident and deleting your data. I'm afraid that makes no sense. It's a feature. Don't misrepresent its location so that people who want to use t can't find it. People could still stumble onto it and delete their data no matter where its located. And just install a safety "Are you sure you want to do this?" question if someone selects Format HDD, for goodness' sake.

Deep breaths. Just a minor delay/inconvenience... :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
The upside is that I can probably get another career as a Brennan technician now that I've taken the unit apart and put it back together so many times trying to figure out why the new drive didn't fire up! :D

It's really very easy. :laugh:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
That almost sounds like they expect the internal drive to fail if used for large collections. I'd like to see how they have the internal drive connected as it just sounds odd that a USB drive would be faster than an internal drive connected directly to the main board.

Even an optical drive that reads discs at 40x normal playback speed is going to be rather slow compared to a USB 3.0 port. The drive mechanism – not USB 3 or SATA 3 – is going to be the bottleneck.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just don't understand why it wouldn't come with a manual that details *all* the system commands and menu structure, especially considering how little it would cost to manufacture one of these devices. It's not like they're dumping you at the BASH command for you to figure things out. There's a custom App running which has all the functions and *that's* what you're paying for so where's the manual? I get that most people would likely toss it. Fine. At least put a full reference manual online and not just a standard user manual. An end user shouldn't have to join a user group/forum or email their support to find out how to use such a basic function as formatting a new HD. Sure it's rare someone would want or need to upgrade or replace a HD but that's no excuse.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
That is a lie. It is hidden in Settings>Maintenance>Advanced>Format HDD. Grrrrrr. The drive I got is probably perfectly fine. But since I've already gotten the return/replace process underway, I'm just going to let it play out.

I tend to agree, the drive is likely OK. Crucial are known for making high quality products so it's probably not the drive, but since you have a replacement on the way it may not be worth disrupting the process now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I tend to agree, the drive is likely OK. Crucial are known for making high quality products so it's probably not the drive, but since you have a replacement on the way it may not be worth disrupting the process now.

Thanks, Jim. But you know how angry I'll be if something ever goes wrong with the Samsung drive that's on its way?!? :laugh:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even an optical drive that reads discs at 40x normal playback speed is going to be rather slow compared to a USB 3.0 port. The drive mechanism – not USB 3 or SATA 3 – is going to be the bottleneck.

For that matter, the data rate through a computer cd/dvd drive is low enough to go through a USB2 port easily without hitting any usb2 bottlenecks.

IIRC the fastest data rate at a maximum constant angular velocity of a spinning disc, is around 22 megabytes per second when the laser is reading at almost the outer circumference of a single-layer dvd disc.

For comparsion, the times I had copied large files over usb2 to an external hard drive (such as multigigabytes sized *.iso volumes), the data rate maxed out at around 30 to 35 megabytes per second or so at the bottleneck. Roughly 30 seconds to copy one gigabyte of data continuously over a usb2 channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred1976