Looking for advice on HT sound system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stewart D, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Stewart D

Stewart D Auditioning

I just recently purchased a Toshiba 57" wide screen rear projection TV (Model 57H82). Now I need a sound system (including subwoofer) and DVD player. My budget is $1500 (pre-tax / shipping). I would like to get some recommendations. A few things to note. 1) I don't have a very well trained ear. 2) I'd like 6.1 minimum. 3) I plan on using my TV primarily for viewing DVDs (if that even matters). 4) I don't have any brand loyalties. Thanks in advance.

2. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

The Energy Take 5.2 Speaker System which is about $600, a Denon AVR-1803 reciever $500, and a decent DVD player $200. That is $1300 leaving you more money for DVDs[​IMG] [​IMG] .

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

christopher's rec is pretty solid.

so i'll offer some sagely advice.

go listen to as many speakers as you can. listen to all price-points...even those way out of your league. it'll give you a good idea of how different speakers can sound. it will make you a more informed buyer. plus you'll (hopefully) have a good time doing it.

speakers have more of an impact on sound than any other component...at least i feel they do. plus speakers rarely change....many people are still using the same speakers they've had forever.

finally, remember that sound is subjective. if it sounds good to *you*, then go for it.

on the receiver side, there's several brands that are well regarded. check out (in no particular order) denon, yamaha, onkyo and outlaw. you should have good luck if you stay with one of those brands.

remember to keep some money aside for accessories too: decent interconnects, calibration dvd, universal remote, etc.