looking for advice on how to sell rare DVDs (seven samurai w/ demo & mst3k)

Discussion in 'Media Classifieds' started by soop.spoon, Feb 6, 2005.

1. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to maximize profits when selling rare DVDs? I have a copy of the first pressing of Seven Samurai and the long OOP MST3K: The Movie that I'm willing to part with, but I'd like to get as much as I can for them. Are the online auction sites the best bet? amazon marketplace? something else?

thanks for any input.

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I'd suggest you do a search on eBay, Jack, for completed sales and see what the items are going for in that site.

The X Files disk seems to be selling in the $6-$10 range, and the Kurosawa for $20-$30. You'll also see that there are several of them for sale.

3. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not selling any X-Files discs and the Seven Samurai disc I'm selling is the rare OOP first pressing with the restoration demo (which I can't find on ebay)

thanks

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Hey! I have both of those also! Ebay is a crapshoot; I'd try Half first. Set a pretty stiff price on Half and see what happens. The downside to Half is that they take a pretty hefty cut (15%), so raise your price accordingly.

I sold a Seven Samurai with the restoration demo a couple years ago on Ebay and got $100, not as much as I expected since others were selling in the $120-$150 range at the time. But that was two years ago; I don't know what the market is for it today.

Be certain to emphasize that yours is the real thing and not an import and not a bootleg. There's way too much of that going on both Ebay and Half.