Looking for advice on Home Theater Area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Robichaud, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Neil Robichaud

Neil Robichaud Auditioning

Looking for advice on Home Theater Area
    A friend recommended that I check out this Forum for advice on a Home Theater Area for my new house. I have taken a look and can only say that I am impressed with the amount and quality of content here.
    In a nutshell here is the scenario:
    I will be building a new house in January and I will have a dedicated Home Theatre Area measuring about 11 feet by 9 feet. This room will be on a concrete slab hence less vibration from Sub? There is one window at the mid-point of one of the 11 foot walls. I am going to have any necessary wiring completed during the building phase - then start on my next job of actually picking out a new HDTV and Home Theater System. I only have about $4000 (Canadian) to play with for the equipment - so I'm just looking for a decent room to enjoy some decent quality Movies and a few Tunes.
    Any advice (Professional or Personal) on how the room should be set-up and/or what type of equipment would be best suited to my area - will be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I've said this on another thread, but, take advantage of what you can do before the drywall goes up. This means wiring and sound proofing. A lot of contractors will only slap up studs and drywall. So, insulate walls and pipes while you have access. There's nothing worse than hearing the sound of a flushing toilet during a crucial scene in your favorite movie. [​IMG]
    As far as what equipment to go with... I'll leave that question to the tech-heads on this forum.
    P.S. Welcome to the forum!
    P.P.S. Another good place for equipment information is the AVS Forum. Beware, the sudden flood of technical information might make you pass out... it did me. [​IMG]

3. Dave Gates

Dave Gates Agent

Welcome to the forum Neil.

The best advise I can give you right now is to set up your HT to be flexible. You may not have the budget now, but down the road you may want to add a front projector, rear center channel, extra sub, etc. So if you have the wiring installed while the room is being built, it will save you work down the road.

Good Luck!

4. Neil Robichaud

Neil Robichaud Auditioning

Dave and Dave,

Thanks for the replies, advice, and the link. I'll definately take your collective advice and try to get the "behind the wall" work done up front.