Looking for advice on DVD player upgrade...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric T, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

For the last year I have been using a JVC D723 with my Mitsubishi WS-55807. Recently I upgraded receivers, giving my Yamaha 5240 to my brother and purchasing a Denon 3802 (just like millions of other HTF'ers [​IMG] ).
    I was quite impressed by the upgrade in sound quality with the new receiver, and now I am wondering if I can get even more improvement with a better DVD player.
    I am about 80% HT and 20% music. For HT, I am running a digital connection to the 3802. I am not opposed to running analog interconnects between the DVD player and the CD input on my receiver if it will improve the sonic quality for 2-channel audio.
    Is there much to be gained in picture and audio quality by upgrading to a $1k DVD player? If so, which models would you recommend?
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am running Polk speakers (RT12 mains, CSi40 center, CS250 rear center, f/x300i surrounds) and a Velodyne CT120 sub.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Got a DV-47a for Fathers Day and Works great. Progressive Scan, SACD, & DVD-A in one unit!

3. Joey Jenkins

Joey Jenkins Auditioning

Panasonic rp91

4. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Frank, Joey, can you give me some more details? What players were you using before? How would you rate those units for video quality? Audio quality?

Frank, have you tried playing SACD on your player?