Looking for advice on buying new sound system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris LH, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Chris LH

Chris LH Auditioning

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I have bought a system, so I wanted to get some advice on the speakers I'm looking at.

I mostly want the system for home theater (DVDs) but my wife would probably just listen to CDs.

I'm pretty sold on a Marantz 8200 receiver. I also like the Boston Accoustics speakers. Overall, are these two brands solid? I would still want this system working 10 years from now.

I've heard the VR-M90s and I know my wife would love the sound of them for music. Would these be good front speakers for a home theater? Also looking at the VR-MC for the center.

Somebody recommended the VR-950s as the back speakers. Is this overkill to have tower speakers for surrond sound? I'm also looking at the 800 sub.

Overall, have no idea what this system would sound like or if it is simply overkill.

Greatly appreciate any advice.

2. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

I like the VR950's but I think I would stay with the vrm line since that is what you have choosen for your fronts.

The VR-MX is very nice and matches the VR-M90's.

VR-M50's or 60's would also be great and match the VR-M90's.

3. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I'be been in the same boat as you...I went and auditioned the BA VRM series, Def Tech, Monitor, Klipsch, etc. Then I went to another dealer and I was introduced to B&W...WOW what difference. Before hearing the B&W I was pretty much sold on the BA's, then I realized what they were missing when I heard BW.
    For a comparable price range check out the 600 series at www.bwspeakers.com
    Definitely check these out. They are not as bright as the BA but match if not outperform the detail the BA's have. JMHO.
    I'm about to upgrade my receiver and I'm also just about sold on the Marantz 8200...just gotta find a good deal.
    Happy hunting.

4. Chris LH

Chris LH Auditioning

Hi Sean, Which speakers did you test in the 600 series for B&W? Would you get the same speakers in the back? If these sounded better than the VR M90s I'll definitely have to check them out. Thanks again.