What's new

Looking for advice on Atmos receiver or separates? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If this iteration on Audyssey does a good job, it might be part of the value question of paying $3000 + $200 for a Marantz 7706 and MultEQ X versus $3800 for an Anthem AVM70.

Or at a lower-cost high-end AVR, getting a $1000 + $200 Denon 2700 with MultEQ X versus $1700 Anthem MRX 540.

I’m still waiting to hear if the new Audyssey software is any good, worth $200, how it compares to ARC, etc. I hope to replace my Marantz 7702 mkII next year or two. I’ve been thinking about Anthem with everyone extolling ARC. But maybe Audyssey is finally getting competitive again? Waiting and watching :)
I completely agree with your points.

It appears to be compatible with both Marantz units I have now. The Windows limitation makes it a no-go for me, though.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If this iteration on Audyssey does a good job, it might be part of the value question of paying $3000 + $200 for a Marantz 7706 and MultEQ X versus $3800 for an Anthem AVM70.

Or at a lower-cost high-end AVR, getting a $1000 + $200 Denon 2700 with MultEQ X versus $1700 Anthem MRX 540.

I’m still waiting to hear if the new Audyssey software is any good, worth $200, how it compares to ARC, etc. I hope to replace my Marantz 7702 mkII next year or two. I’ve been thinking about Anthem with everyone extolling ARC. But maybe Audyssey is finally getting competitive again? Waiting and watching :)

@DaveF - The compatibility list I saw doesn't include our AV7702MKii's.

Even if it did there are many reasons I would avoid this approach.

• The license is good only for the life of the AVR
  • The license cannot be transferred (kills resale value)
  • Price can be increased at any time
  • App can be discontinued [or support withdrawn] at any time
  • $200.00 price tag is yet another slap in the face for current owners.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@DaveF - The compatibility list I saw doesn't include our AV7702MKii's.

Even if it did there are many reasons I would avoid this approach.

• The license is good only for the life of the AVR
  • The license cannot be transferred (kills resale value)
  • Price can be increased at any time
  • App can be discontinued [or support withdrawn] at any time
  • $200.00 price tag is yet another slap in the face for current owners.
That’s right, it is compatible with more recent models that work with the Denon smartphone app.

No go for our 7702.

These are all reasonable and shared concerns about this approach.

My view is simple: if it gives ARC performance for $500 lower cost, I would consider it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That’s right, it is compatible with more recent models that work with the Denon smartphone app.

No go for our 7702.

These are all reasonable and shared concerns about this approach.

My view is simple: if it gives ARC performance for $500 lower cost, I would consider it.
I see what you originally meant now but have the opposite view. I would [and eventually will] pay the additional $500.00 or whatever for a battle-tested system with an established user base.

RonaldS

Grip
I am looking to set up a nice home theater room and upgrade my 5.1 system to a 7.1.4 system. The Denon AVR-X6700H looks like it could get the job done. Moving into the world of separates is intimidating and the costs seem like they can get out of control really quickly, but I'd love to hear some opinions on what might be possible. Is it possible to get a decent separates setup for under $6k?
I bought the Denon AVR-X6700, use it for my 7.1.4 system and am very satisfied. For my 7, I use M&K speakers that I got a long time a go and they are great. I did not have to spend any more for them. My subwoofer was falling apart as it was so old, so I got an SVS PB-1000 which does a great job especially for the price but I got it when it was selling for $600. Now it goes for $800. I would still recommend it but the price is more than creeping up in less than a year. I guess SVS realized that $600 was too cheap for the quality. For Atmos speakers, I got 4 Klipsch R-41SA speakers for $670. The are now selling on Amazon for about $100 more. I paid $2,600 for the Denon (now $3,000). So I don't know what you want to include in your separates but for only audio, $3,000 for Denon, $800 for SVS and $770 for Klipsch for what I have would leave you $1,400 for other speaker.
You can economize by using your current subwoofer and speakers that are in your 5.1 system, then you only have to buy 2 more speakers for the 7 and 4 speakers for atmos unless you want to buy 4 new speakers that are 2 in 1 (regular speakers with upward firing Atmos speakers). Do you also want a 4K Bluray player? You might want to look at the Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player DP-UB820 which covers Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR 10+ as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS-X audio. It is selling for $400. I have not researched this in a while but there are not that many players at this price that do both Dolby Vision and HDR 10+.
Finally, I don't know what TV you have. I have an LG OLED that does Dolby Vision and renders great video in tandem with the Panasonic. There are streaming services that do some Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos now and I believe that there will be more offerings in the future. It seems that you could put together something quite nice for under $6,000 if you don't have to buy a new TV, a new subwoofer and a whole bunch of new speakers. If you need or want to buy new stuff for that, you may have a difficult time staying within your budget.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am looking to set up a nice home theater room and upgrade my 5.1 system to a 7.1.4 system. The Denon AVR-X6700H looks like it could get the job done. Moving into the world of separates is intimidating and the costs seem like they can get out of control really quickly, but I'd love to hear some opinions on what might be possible. Is it possible to get a decent separates setup for under $6k?
A sidenote on "intimidating": Hopefully it's not apparent technical complexity that has you worried. Setup is only marginally harder than a conventional AVR: HDMI inputs to Pre-Pro. Speaker cables from Amps. Just like you're used to. And you add the cables from Pre-Pro to Amps.

The intimidation is of course easy in terms of all the options to research and choose from on mixing and matching components and more cabling options.

As noted, you can tip-toe into this. You can get a great AVR that you can use per se without yet getting into "separates", like the $1500 Denon 3700

Then you can add an amp. If you like Denon / Marantz and feel more comfortabled staying with that brandname, you could buy a 5-channel Marantz amp for $1400. Add a few cables and you're powering the core "5" of your 5.1 or 7.1 or 11.2.4 system from the amp and the AVR can continue powering the rest of the speakers.

System cost of $2800 MSRP, to get started, with money left to upgrade more if you like what you get. You can later add another amp. Or you could upgrade speaker cabling to XLR. You could swap out the AVR for a non-amplified higher-end Pre-Pro.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I really appreciate all of the advice and recommendations that everyone has given me in here. Gregg Loewen graciously spent a lot of time on the phone with me on Tuesday and helped me focus on what I needed to start with. I am getting the Denon AVR-X6700H. I definitely have an eye on those Emotiva amplifiers when I'm ready for some upgrades.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really appreciate all of the advice and recommendations that everyone has given me in here. Gregg Loewen graciously spent a lot of time on the phone with me on Tuesday and helped me focus on what I needed to start with. I am getting the Denon AVR-X6700H. I definitely have an eye on those Emotiva amplifiers when I'm ready for some upgrades.
If the time comes to add an amp, what I suggest is probably to get a three channel model for the front channels and let the receiver power everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread