Looking for advice on a weird room.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin Ward, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I'm moving into a room in a loft in a month or two. The room is yet to be built but I have no control over the dimensions. I can however put my speakers anywhere and maybe some acoustic treatments if the cost isn't too bad.

Anyway, for my current setup I have Paradigm Titans, Atoms and CC-170. My sub is an SBB4 Ported Tempest.

-Soon I plan on phasing out the Paradigms for Adire HE series or GR AV series speakers. The Tempest will stay for HT and I will either add two 75L sealed DPL12 subs or add two more Tempests and do an IB with all three drivers. Though I'm leaning more towards the boxed subs because I'm only staying in that room for a year.

Anyway, the room shape is going to be a pain I think.

Anyway, the room will be about 11 x 11 with a sloped ceiling height between 4' and 9'. This has me worried because of two things. I know that square rooms generally have bad bass response and I don't think sloped ceilings will help anything.

So I'm looking for some basic advice:
    1) What can I do to help the bass response?
    2) Which way would be best to orient my system based on the room? ie, should the front speakers go in the tall or short part of the room?

Thanks alot,
    Justin

2. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dude,

At a minimum you'll need to place some kind of dampening material around the middle of the two side walls. I moved from a rectangular listening room with great acoustics to a square living room that sounds lifeless.....sigh

As for the sloped ceiling I would place the front speakers at the tall (9 foot) side of the room. I think you want to avoid sound waves immediately reflecting off the low end of the ceiling (perhaps around the 4.5 to 6.5 height) which will muddy your sound in a big way. I don't think you'll ever get "great" acoustics without spending a lot of time and money tweeking things but you should be able to make it "decent". The subs should be the least of your problems given the small dimension of the room. Just experiment by moving them around a bit.....

Good luck dude,

Chester

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm. I was thinking just the opposite, that it made more sense to put the speakers at the narrow end since soundwaves spread wider the further they travel.

It’s probably best to try it both ways and see for yourself what works best.

To answer your first question, nothing helps bass response better than a dedicated parametric equalizer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Does the sloped celing makes thing better or worse in terms of bass response. As compared to the same room with say a constant 8' ceiling? On one hand it is less volume to fill and would the slope help randomize the waves?

I was also thinking of running everything in a way that doesn't oppose the slope, if that makes sense. Just kind of push everything off to the tall side.

5. John Sayers

John Sayers Auditioning

Hi Justin - in your situation I'd place my screen and speakers on the 4' wall with the ceiling rising up towards you. I'd make sure the wall behind you - i.e. the largest/tallest wall - is heavily treated with a good absorber like Owens Corning 703 or Johns Manville Spin-Glas board.

Additionally you could add bass traps in all the corners or better still add angled slot resonators down both sides to absorb the low mids which will be your main problem in such a small room.

hope this helps.

cheers
    john