Looking for advice- new buyer

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill>O, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bill>O

Bill>O Auditioning

I searched some of the recent threads to see what everyone was buying for projectors. Most seemed to key in on either very high end or SVGA models. I am looking in the middle range, and have a lot of questions.
    First, XGA(4:3) vs WXGA(16:9) models, though there are few of the latter avaialable at this time.
    Second, the old question of DLP vs. LCD.
    I have looked at the Mitsubishi XD450u which is at the upper end of my budget, and at the Pannasonic 700 model which seems to be a good buy, although I had been concentrating on DLP models before this unit came to my attention.
    A few "musts" are DVI input, component input, at least XGA resolution. Good lamp life is a big plus and warrenties and reputation for service are also important.
    ANy help and advice is gratly appreciated.
    Bill

2. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

Since I've just gone through a lot of the questions you're asking, I'll speak to my own personal bias. I'm not convinced about the long term picture reliability of lcd projectors. I've seen the state some old lcd projectors are in. I've seen a study commissioned by TI that painted a very ugly picture of lcd in this regard. But, what's worse, is this test being confirmed by anecdotal evidence. For example, going on a message board and hearing multiple owners confirm, that yes, at only 2500 hours, they were seeing color shifts in their lcd units. For, me, that's just unacceptable.

Another big factor is the checkered history of certain models when it comes to bulb life and lack thereof. I'm not going anywhere near a projector if multiple owners are reporting bulb failures at 300 hours and even less. People say, its a bad batch of bulbs, I say BS. The most likely scenario, is that the projector is overheating, the hot air isn't being vented properly. Two units I wrote off as a result were the optoma h30 and the sanyo z2. Bulbs are very expensive and carrry only a 90 day 500 hour warranty whichever comes first. Any unit with reported problems in this area, I won't touch. I simply can't afford the risk. You replace a bulb at six months, say, at a cost of $400 and then you're on pins and needles wondering if that bulb is going to blow prematurely.

Panasonic only carries a one year warranty, btw. Which, as far as I can tell is the shortest warranty out there. Most carry at least a two year warranty and some three. Benq carries a three year warranty and has a hot swap exchange program for the first year.

3. Bill>O

Bill>O Auditioning

Thanks Peter, that is exactly the type of information that I am looking for.
    There are so many choices out there that if I can rule out LCD models for example and those of one or two manufacturers that have a less than perfect reputation or a shorter warrenty, it will make my choices easier.

What is the word on Mitsubishi projectors?
    They have a good warrenty, and most of the features I am looking for, and the review on ProjectorCentral.com was fabulous (most of the reviews are)
    but they are much more expensinve than comparable Infocus, Benq, and Dell units.
    Bill

4. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I Agree, as alluring as the near 2000 dollar pricetag of the HD Panny AE700 is, I just can not let myself buy LCD, even though replacing the panels is not outragously expensive, it is none the less a maintenence not required on DLP, Plus I like the deeper richer blacks of DLP