Looking for advice for Cerwin-Vega Sub? (Yes or No)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Coccimiglio, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Joe Coccimiglio

Hi Guys, I know by reading some of the questions on this forum that SVS is the way to go..unfortunately the nearest dealer is 800 Km away so I am looking at the Cerwin Vega. I know they make respectable car audio subs but what about HT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.

2. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I own a cerwin vega lw 15. I thought it was great when I bought it a few years ago, but I thought boomy = good. Since I have heard a friends velodyne and it sounded much clearer than mine, and supposedly the svs is much better. If you want a lot of loud boomy bass that you can only hear but not feel, then cerwin is the way to go. If you want clean, clear bass that you can feel I would recommend that you go with svs - in fact, that is going to be my next upgrade ( you wanna buy my cerwin?)

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Joe:
    You know CV isn't really that bad. Some people don't like them b/c they aren't a Paradigm, Energy, or nOrh. But for a newbie to this, or budget system, I would say CV is a nice loud speaker! I used to have the older floorstanding speakers when I first came into my hobby!
    But hey, speakers are personal choice man!

4. Joe Coccimiglio

Thanks for your input, The Canadian dollar is a disadvantage for me and this boxing day sale can really save me some money. Being new at this I would like to get off on the right foot. How do you know what size to get? Two 6" or One 15"? My room is 20'Ft. X 24'Ft. w/ 8' ceiling. Thnks again.[​IMG]

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's a big room.
    Get the 15'er
    Better yet, whip out the visa and get 2!
    [​IMG]

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

not sure what you're paying for the CV,

but the Pw2200 from paradigm would be something to check on too.

TV

7. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

Future Shop today dropped the price on the Velodyne 12" powered sub from near $1,000. to $650. The 10" C-V dropped to $400. The sound from both was similar (in showroom). I bought the Veoldyne, but C-V is good with bass.

The Boxing Day Sales have been good. Everything was hundreds of dollars cheaper at the cash than the signs around the store (they didn't have time to change the signs, I guess).

8. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

9. Randy Prue

MarkO:

That Mirage looks/sounds/seems nice! Isn't 1,300 British pounds well over $2,000 CAD?

I had the impression that Joe was looking to spend less than $1,000. CAD. How much is the big Cerwin-Vega?

10. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Im not sure of the current price in his area but I know here in the states they are heavily discounted.

11. Joe Coccimiglio

Hi guys, Happy New Year[​IMG] Thanks again for all the info. The CV sub that I looking at is a 10"(HT-S10A) sub and I have it on hold because it is the last one and the store will let it go for $200.00 CND out the door no taxes(-15%) that is a good deal. The Paradigm is double and to answer the question about the $2000.00 sub some day I wish to be at that level of HT. Should I go for it?

12. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Joe, I owned a CV LW-10 for a couple of months. It was capable of playing very loud with very little audible distortion but I found it to be painfully boomy sounding so I sold it.

My recommendation would be not to buy on price alone.....but if it sounds good to you and is within your budget, go for it!

Vin

13. Randy Prue

Joe:

Future Shop sold them yesterday for $400. plus taxes, so you can probably recover your $200. if you decide to upgrade later.

I think you're in the same boat as I am. With a good pair of fronts, with good bass response, I'm ready to pass on a sub. This Velodyne ($650.) is "nice" but I suspect that I'll only be happy with a $2k. sub (or none at all, putting a few hundred extra into the front speakers).

For $200. CAD, it sounds like a good way to get your feet wet (you know, like submarine). Sorry, awful pun.

:)

14. Joe Coccimiglio

Thanks Guys, I think I am going to bite the bullet (another awful pun!) and go for it. I know I should not let price rule the decision but I with the built in cross over I can feed my front Pioneers thru the sub to give them I little life. I purchased a pair of titans for my rear speakers and my pioneer speakers just can't keep up. Then when the money tree in my backyard is blooming again I can upgrade.[​IMG] Cheers!