What's new

Looking for a word... (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
How about "Packering" or "Packerism" as in Alfred Packer, the infamous Colorado cannibal.

He's well-known today in large part because a University of Colorado student cafeteria is named after him.

(Apparently a contest was held in 1968 to chose an individual in whose honor to name the place, and a bunch of student pranksters familiar with the then-obscure story got their friends to suggest Packer - who won. According to the story, university officials didn't learn who Alfred Packer was until long after the place was dedicated. His student "sponsors" had merely described him as a "pioneer". I guess they should have added "culinary". ;))

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You know, Mark K had better come back to this thread and tell us what the answer turned out to be, or he's going to find himself in a lifeboat in the middle of nowhere wondering which of his fellow passengers to filet first. ;)

Regards,

Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
ANTHROPOPHAGY refers to specifically human cannibalism, but does not carry an implied judgement of whether it was inspired by contingency or taste.

EXOCANNIBALISM is eating an enemy in the belief you will inherit their strength and skills. ENDOCANNIBALISM is a funereal practice to honour valued family or group members.

The best I can come up with is SURVIVAL CANNIBALISM or EMERGENCY CANNIBALISM. At first sight, FORCED CANNIBALISM might seem to mean the same thing, but it usually refers to people being forced to engage in cannibalistic acts against their will.

However, Mark, I think you're right - there is a single word for it, but I can't bring it to mind. Perhaps if I picked someone else's brains ...

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I just can't stomach all the bad puns in this thread.

CD (in a white wine source with mushrooms and shallots, yum yum)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks